Christ's return is NOT invisible!

by fjtoth 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

If the "return" were to be as a literal even where "every eye shall behold Him" riding on clouds, descending (which clouds don't normally do) how would there ever be a doubter left? How would this qualify as a "thief in the night"?

After Jesus returns, there will not be any doubters left. As far as it qualifying as a "thief in the night," I think that Jesus explains what that means very adequately at Matthew 24:42-44:

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

Clearly, the reference to a "thief in the night" refers to the timing, not the manner, of Jesus' return.
  • Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

YEP!

I agree. Definitely visible.

I can't believe I missed them subtly paving the way for re-introducing Christ's "coming" as opposed to "presence" and in an article that came out BEFORE I left.

Ballistic.

Couldn't agree more. 1914 WILL GO!

I actually plant this thought with Witnesses. They currently can't see WT changing 1914. But I clearly and pointedly predict that they will, and I ask them to remember our conversation when they do. I tell them that WT has known for atleast 30yrs that 1914 was wrong.

I hope that these seeds will stay in their memory and grow when 1914 is disbanded

• gumby
    gumby

How would this qualify as a "thief in the night"?

Are you aware a thief was in your home....or are you unaware he was there? I kinda think you would know. The only thing you don't know is WHEN he will strike

WHEN he comes....is as a thief. Once he has arrived....all will know.....................if all this is even true.

• neyank
    neyank

Gumby says:

"Are you aware a thief was in your home....or are you unaware he was there? I kinda think you would know. The only thing you don't know is WHEN he will strike"

Excactly how I view it.

He will come as a thief in the night.
    Meaning you don't know when he will arive.

Every eye shall see Him.
    Meaning when He does arive it will be known by everyone.

So the way I see it, coming as a thief in the night has NOTHING to do with coming invisibly.
    It just means that we don't know when to expect Him.

But with all the scriptures stating that every eye WILL see Him shows that once He is here, all will know.

neyank

• Carmel
    Carmel

Please allow me to clarify my comments.

First, I do not support the dubbie notion of an "invisible presence" or "coming". In fact the very definition of "anti-Christ" was applied to those that denied the physical reality of Jesus as the "Christ"! Beyond that notion, it seems to me the literal understanding of Jesus returning on a cloud and the concommitant idea that "all eyes shall see Him" as being a simultaneous tangible event is equally unrealistic and a fantasy that many want to believe that would make their christian god special. I prefer following the tracking of Jesus' own explanation that He came from "heaven" the first time and will return in the same manner. Likely though not from a Jewish virgin, but from some other "unknown place". Ultimately, over time, the "returned Christ" will become known to all of humanity by His deeds, teachings and Hils loyal followers that recognize Him. Like a thief, Jesus came, taught and was killed with rather little impact on the lives of His contempories. Only after the reality of His message sank in and a few converts were set fire by His ideas and elan, did the message spread and after several hundred years became Christianity as we know it. Even with the advent of tv and computers, it would not be possible for one person to instantly make himself or herself known to literally every person on the planet simultaneously. Unless of course, He comes with a new bio terrorist method of religio-chemical mist that envelops the globe instantly and we all breath it in and "see" Him descending on a cloud.

For those of you who want to live in the fantasy world of "armageddon" and "comming on the clouds" you are free to find plenty of scripture to support your position. Just as there are those that take the garden of eden story literally and Noah's flood.

carm

• herk
    herk

Carm,

You claim those who believe in Adam and Eve and Noah are living in a fantasy world, yet you believe Jesus existed. Additionally you say you accept what Jesus said about his return.

Jesus believed in Adam and Eve and in the flood of Noah's day. (Mt 19:4; 24:37, 38; Mr 10:6; Lu 17:26, 27) Why believe what he said about his return if you don't believe what he believed and said about the ancient past?

Herk

• Carmel
    Carmel

Herk,

I've looked up your scriptural references and have formulated a response. Unfortunately, I won't be able to share them until I have my cable modem installed the day after Thanksgiving! I'm sure you don't think the big A will come before then, so hang on. I'll have some fun from home engaging you.

Cheers,

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit