What do you suggest I do about this?

by Mulan 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

My 90 year old JW mother told a friend of mine this yesterday: "Marilyn said that not a day goes by that she doesn't regret leaving the truth." My friend called me to report it to me, because she knows better.

What I told Mom is this: "I hope someday I will come to a time when I can forget I was ever a JW, and don't think about it every day."

She got something different out of it than what I intended.

I don't care that she told this particular friend, but I would hate it if she is saying that to other people in her congregation. I hesitate to confront her with it, because she would know my friend told me, and it would make trouble for her. Any suggestions?

• borgfree
    borgfree

Mulan,

If you do not care that people know how you actually feel, I would write a letter to the editor telling how free and good you feel after leaving the WT.

Borgfree

• seven006
    seven006

Mulan,

I don't know your Mom but knowing she is a JW she will probably keep telling people that whether you confront her or not. It is what she wants to believe. If it were me, Id just let it go.

But that's just me, I let a lot of things go.

Take care,

Dave

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Let it go.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Mulan,

I hope at 90 year's old, I get as close as your mom did, in interpreting anyone's comments.

Don't know your mom, but if she is sharp, and I tend to think that she is, just from the reaction you had, maybe a simple off the cuff clarification of your thinking, will suffice. Think?

She may put two and two together.....when she does.....I will disavow that I ever suggested the above.!!!!!!

Danny

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Dave.

***I let alot of things go***

I been meaning to talk to you about that.

Where's all that sage advice, where's all that passion, where's all that down home common sense, where in the hell have you let it all go to?? You big sissy!

BearPrick

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Mulan, which would you rather be...Happy....or Right?

Does it really matter what the other people think? Or just what your mother thinks?
    What would really be gained by straightening out your mother's view at this point?
    Is it worth clarifying to her?

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Mulan,

Your mama is living in a bit of a dream world. She no doubt "said" it the way she did, because that is what makes her happy.

I don't think I'd be too concerned about what she says to anyone, as they no doubt disregard much of her statements due to her age. If they don't, well, how would you ever find out who she said what to for sure.

Best just to "let go".

• Mulan
    Mulan

I pretty much knew I would let it go, but thought I would share with everyone.

Just as long as it doesn't provoke some calls from the elders. Groan!!

By the way, Mom is extremely sharp, crafty and calculating. I don't put anything past her. She may have told this to my friend to see if she would tell me. So, by not telling her I know, it foils her plan.

Edited by - mulan on 12 November 2002 20:44:18

• Faraon
    Faraon

Mulan,

On one hand, she is ninety and set on her ways. It could be withful thinking, Alzehaimer's, both, or other cause(s).

On the other it could be her way to gain sympathy or gain converts.

It is also hard to know because this is like third information, or it seems so.

It seems, though, that she is not "in the truth" because she distorted it when she said you regretted leaving. I would confront her, and let the people she told this, to know the real truth. But this is how I feel. She is your grandmother, and sometimes it is best to leave things be. Then again she who keeps quiet consents.

It's a toughie. Only you can decide.

Rene

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit