Banned church member sues Jehovah's Witnesses

by izobcenec 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

izobcenec,

Thanks for posting that incredible story! I would have loved to sue the WT and my ex-husband for alienation of my daughter's affection, but reasoned that I could not because I had made a choice to join a religion, and that the state would not interfere. Maybe I was wrong! This is wonderful news. Maybe there is hope for families with bullying JW's.

• Mary
    Mary

I think Barbara and Joe have an excellent chance to win this case. If memory serves, the laws generally uphold a church's right to excommunicate a member UNLESS for some reason, public safety is an issue.

The mere fact that they were kicked out for trying to help those who were victims of pedophila (a crime), then this could certainly be viewed as a "public safety" issue. Because if other Witnesses keep silent about child molestation for fear of being disfellowshipped, then that is encouraging criminal behaviour in pedophiles.

You guys kick ass!! Good luck!

• kelpie
    kelpie

Way to go Barb

We are all backing you.. I hope you win!

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

I love joe and barb! Keep us posted!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Joe and Barbara are facing an uphill battle to win. But I wish only the best for them.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I am new to this forum. Very new. I am currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I have read many things recently, Barbara, that are very disturbing to me. I have cried many times. I do not care who the first President of the Watchtower was. If Russell was the Secretary to begin with, that only means that perhaps he really was dedicated along with his father and was aligned with the organization earlier than once thought. What is wrong with announcing to the congregations,"Guess what? Russell wasn't the first President of the Watchtower Society?" I do not care if the end of this system will be in one year or two hundred years. If the Watchtower Society said they were wrong about the date, I could accept their aplogy for writing in the Awake magazine for years that "Those who were at an age of understanding in 1914 would not pass off the scene before the end of this system." I am sure that even if the Society announced to the congregations that they were affiliated with the U.N. for many years but said they were wrong I could live with it. What I do care about are people. Jesus cared about people so much that he was willing to die for them. He considered children precious. How is it loving and kind to tell a child that they must not speak about the abuse they received from an adult or they will be disfellowshipped? What I care about is truth and being told the truth. That is why I became a Witness to begin with. I do not want the truth hidden from me as though I am too stupid to understand it. When I became a Witness many years ago, Apostate was a word that was seldom heard. Now, it is becoming all too familiar. It seems our situation is becoming like the people during the Salem Witch Trials. If someone you knew was accused of being a witch, you could not come to their aid by saying that you did not think they were one, for fear of being accused yourself!. This meant you must stand by and see innocent people put to death, or risk your own life. You, Barbara, have chosen people. You have cared about others the way Jesus would have us do. I grieve for you that it has cost you the relationship with your son and grandchildren. I care, too. I am glad that I am finding out the real truth, now. Thank you.

• IW
    IW

Welcome to the board, Quandry!

• nsrn
    nsrn

Welcome, Quandry! Just keep reading and thinking. You will find most of us have some single doctrine or policy that we just couldn't live with, and then that allowed us to examine others. Thank you for having the courage to jump in.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Quandry,

Good first post, welcome.

Barbara and Joe, GO, GO, GO!

Brant

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Nice post Quandry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest