The Remnant Watchtower

by ozziepost 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This week's Watchtower Study article (Feb 15 p23) should be re-named "The Remnant Manifesto"!

A subliminal message centered on the use of the word "remnant" runs right through the article.

para 5: "A faithful remnant in ancient Judah were to benefit."

para 6: "So Jehovah prospered the faithful remnant..."

para 8: "Those prophetic words referred to the remnant gathered out of Babylonian captivity..."

para 9 "What a name Jehovah made for himself by bringing back that faithful remnant!"

para 10 "Another restoration took place in the first century of the Common Era, when Jesus Christ gathered a remnant of Israel to true worship."

para 13 "History shows that Jehovah began gathering to true worship a faithful remnant of anointed ones..."

para 15 "In 537 BCE, "all" included the remnant of Jews..."

This recurrent use of the word "remnant" prepares the way for the article's climax when Witnesses are exhorted to remain faithful, sure in the knowledge that they are witnessing great things, increases in abundance, only they are led by anointed Christians who have seen to it that "the lofty true worship of Jehovah has been restored".

• TR
    TR

Very interesting, ozzie.

I wonder what other articles have subliminal messages. It's got to play a big role in WT indoctrination.

TR

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So often I find that when discussing Jehovah's Witness beliefs with others, I am having to re-define words and terminology. It brings home to me that the 'theocratic language' is full of subliminal messages.

Cheers,

Ozzie

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Ozziepost,

I'm still trying to figure out how these men can classify themselves as a 'remnant.' What were they originally a part of such that they could be said to be the remaining part of it? If they are the remnant who were released from Babylonish captivity, where is the larger part of the group who were left in captivity? Or, should I say who is the larger group that was left in captivity?

• larc
    larc

bjc,

They consider themselves to be the remnant of the 144,000.

• mensa163
    mensa163

My mom has been a long time attendee at the JW Kingdom Hall and I have also on occasion as well. My problem is I read the bible too much . Which version you ask? I have 14 different translations to refer to.Most say the same thing.. The Watchtower editions make a lot of "Additional" words but at least they put {brackets} around some added words so I credit them for a bit of honesty here. My other problem is I love books and collect rare and out of print books. I have also studied Charles Taze Russel's original teachings and observed all the changes thru the years. When Charles started the millenium Dawn Society (JW) he told the new followers they were part of the exclusive chosen 144,000. That worked great until membership grew to over 144,000 and he had to shut the door to heaven because it was full. He then had to come up with a different "category" for us which continues to this day.
    My point is this......I have read the passage in Revelation a hundred times and it says the 144,000 are literal Jews desended from various tribes of Isreal. What I would REALLY like here is for a learned JW to reply to any errors I may have in interpreting This passage. Is there something I'm not seeing? Thanks

• larc
    larc

mensa,

Russel didn't shut the door to heaven. Rutherford did 14 years after Russell's death. When Rutherford made the change, they weren't anywhere near 144,000 yet. They didn't hit that number until 10 years after the change.

By the way did you read my new stuff about the airplane, and have you considered the next question I asked you.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

menasa,

Thanks for your thoughts.

One difficulty the WTBTS should have with the 144,000 is that they explain everything in the Revelation as being figurative excepting the number which they say is literal. So you get the incongruous assertion that 144,000 is literal but the tribes of Israel are figurative. Weird, ain't it? Can any JWs here defend that?

Cheers,

Ozzie

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Larc,

When have the 144,000 been together as a whole group? They can't be a remnant of something that has never existed as a whole.

• larc
    larc

bjc,

I thought you used to be a Witness and knew what they teach? Perhaps I was mistaken. At any rate, I just told everyone what they do, in fact, believe. Now, since I am no longer a Witness I do not feel compelled to explain their rationale. If you would like to receive an answer to your question, I suggest that you write a letter to them at their headquarters to get an official answer. You should also contact the local Kingdom Hall and and ask to speak to a mature member of the congregation to receive his thinking on the matter.

I hope my suggestions for finding information on your own was of use to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit