From the Twilight zone to Kingdom Hall

by Zep 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep

When i was doing a bible study... well... when i read "you can live forever in a paradise on earth" (goofy title) with a witness anyhow....i cant really call it a study.
    Anyway, he mentioned to me that there was a big convention get together sort of thing coming up and said i should come along...so i sort of said i might and left it at that!
    I was under the impression that it was just another big church meeting, heaps of people, i could just slip in up the back and have a look nice and easy....Well....
    It was a Sunday, and i was a bit hungover...and on the spur of the moment i decided to go have a peek.
    So i get in there wearing casual clothes, blue jeans with a hole in the left knee that had been badly stitched over...walk through the car park, notice this mafioso type guy (probably an elder) looking at me sort of strange... keep walking...come to the entrance and this witnees greets me...i say i've just come to a have a look if thats alright.....(couple of people looking at me...no big deal).......he says OK and leads me to a seat in the Stadium.......Well, the seating arrangments in the main stadium were such that anyone walking in has to walk along a 50 metre walkway in full veiw of about 2000 odd people (iwas about 2hrs late BTW, since there was no way i was going to a meeting that went all day)...so i'm walking in wearing utra casual, scruffy clothes plus hungover, into stadium in full view of all these silent witnesses who are listening to some guy talk....it was full on... noticed a fair few people looking straight at me like i'm from planet X.
    Oh well, Who cares, no big deal, i sit down and lay back and listen after the guy finally finds me a seat.....
    They were just finishing up a little dramatisation of why you should be careful about what you watch on TV....so anyway,that finishes and the speaker announces whats next on the card......its a lecture, a talk on "how you dress and what you wear reflects your attitude", i could feel the spotlight fall right on me...."oh SH'T, i got to get outa here" i think.....so get up and walk back out in full view of all these well dressed witnesses, back along the walkway and out!
    It was a blow out for sure!.... a strange twilight zone experience for me anyhow!

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

Zep, there's a message there for you if you're smart enough to see it. -SolidSender

• waiting
    waiting

Hey, Zep,

Your post was a flashback to the '60s for me, and what a trip!!!

I would imagine you were the basis for quite a few conversations on how teenagers were not supposed to dress - ever!

waiting

• Zep
    Zep

Zep, there's a message there for you if you're smart enough to see it

>>>i know, i know...us worldy people arn't that smart, it just takes us awhile to catch on sometimes, but i think i get.....Levi Strauss was the devil eh!???? Nah, um.. Yeah, Don't go to Kingdom hall wearing denim....I think thats it!...and dont drink too much Saturdays!...for sure!

Your post was a flashback to the '60s for me, and what a trip!I would imagine you were the basis for quite a few conversations on how teenagers were not supposed to dress - ever!

>>>>It was weird experience....So your a child of the 60's Waiting...sheesh, you didn't walk in KH looking all outa place too????
    I know, when i told my witness friend, who was doing the study with...he just laughed and told me how the first he went to KH, he turned up long haired and bare foot, a real hippy....they told him to get some shoes.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

This is an old thread I found and it reminded me of something that happened in my hall in the early '80's.

There was a couple that started a Bible study, I can't remember with who. After attending a few meetings they were talked to about how they should dress when attending.They didn't have much money and an elder offered the husband a few of his old suits. The husband, who had shown a lot of interest in the "false", gladly accepted the offer. He was told that somone would bring the clothing by his home to drop it off. A pioneer sister was given the task. When the "study" answered the door the pioneer all but threw him the bag as she said, " Somebody said you didn't have any clothes."

He was insulted and didn't come back for months. Did someone"talk" to you about what was appropriate to wear to meetings? Were you insulted?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit