Justice in Historic Australian investigation says Jehovah's Witnesses child protection policies WORST

by Watchtower-Free 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I mentioned it on another thread, we should be posting these links on JW Facebook threads. I'm sure they'll be deleted but some persistence would pay off.

A post stating that the JWs are doing an excellent job in defending themselves would likely be getting some eyes.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

We know that JW practices in dealing with child sex abuse victims are horrible, but did Justice McClennan actually say they are the *worst*??

I am not sure he used that word. I could be wrong but I don't remember him saying 'WORST'.

He repeatedly stated that the JWs have serious flaws and many of those are unique to JWs (not seen in other institutions), but I am not sure that he said 'worst'. I think it is possible that there are one or two institutions that may actually be worse than JWs.

Just hoping to clarify and not over-inflate what was said.

• fukitol
    fukitol

Yep, the Watchtower Society puts the blame at Jehovahs feet. It's Jehovah who requires witnesses to child rape. The elders are only following "divine law".

It's like watching the religious equivalent of the Nuremburg trials.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

fukitol - "It's like watching the religious equivalent of the Nuremburg trials."

With a dash of Iran-Contra thrown in for good measure.

x

Know what it also reminds me of?

The Walsh Trial.

How many of us - over the years - have wished that the public scrutiny the WT was exposed to in that instance were repeated, this time for the world to see, and that more importantly, the world actually paid attention?

And now, it's actually happened.

:hushed:

• Heaven
    Heaven

ut said: Ah! Heaven. Don't you know that all of them were repentant? Of course they were.

My sister said so and she has a direct line to the Guvnor through the GB( Greedy Bastards)

ut, of course they were. They want ready access to fresh meat so they can re-offend over and over...and they are always repentant... over and over... it's sickening!

ut said: Plus Heaven, may I remind you of how progressive they are with regard to degrading sexual practices........Not too long ago, a JW wife could not divorce her husband for beastiality because they were pretty sure that no half human half dog, cat, chook or horse would be born of this unholy alliance.

Then one day....they saw it was "not good". And they changed their minds........I think.

You are so lacking in faith for these " holy beyond holiness of these spirit appointed men" to guide you through the Great Tribulation and the big A. Where..... you too can have a dog, cat, badger or sit on a pit of friendly snakes............

ut, their MO is to produce nu-lite. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a yearly metric on how many nu-lites they have to come out with. And... of course I wouldn't follow them. Their delusional.

• snugglebunny
  • never a jw
    never a jw

Watchtower-free

I read the transcript and justice McClelland is not saying JW's procedures are the worst. He is saying they have different flaws from the flaws of others. I think you are misreading the context, even the text itself.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    AudeSapere: We know that JW practices in dealing with child sex abuse victims are horrible, but did Justice McClennan actually say they are the *worst*??
    I am not sure he used that word. I could be wrong but I don't remember him saying 'WORST'.
    He repeatedly stated that the JWs have serious flaws and many of those are unique to JWs (not seen in other institutions), but I am not sure that he said 'worst'. I think it is possible that there are one or two institutions that may actually be worse than JWs.
    Just hoping to clarify and not over-inflate what was said.

I have been looking for the spot in the testimony that Justice McClelland spoke about "the perfect storm". He read a list of conditions that met the 'red flags' of organizations and groups to identify who are at high risk for child sex abuse.

McClelland stated that the JWs hit every point on the list. It may have been then that he called the JWs "the worst".

This is the list (thank you Sailaway who posted this on yuku):

Testimony on day 4 of the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse explored how the socio-cultural environment of Jehovah’s Witnesses creates “the perfect storm” for child abuse. Below are listed the conditions that were highlighted in questioning Dr. Monica Applewhite, expert witness for the WTBS of Australia. If you read the source article starting on page 30 and look at Table A4 on page 31, you will likely be able to identify other factors that apply.
    Table A4: Preconditions for sexual abuse and individual and social/cultural factors (excerpts)
    1. Repressive norms about masturbation and extramarital sex
    2. Weak criminal sanctions against offenders
    3. Ideology of patriarchal prerogatives for fathers
    4. Barriers to women’s equality
    5. Erosion of social networks
    6. Social isolation of family
    7. Social powerlessness of children
    Source: Finkelhor (1984), pp. 56–57 Finkelhor’s model demonstrates the importance of looking beyond the individual victim or perpetrator when assessing where primary prevention programs should be introduced and how other seemingly unconnected societal pressures and gaps can lead to an environment where a child can be sexually victimised.
    https://aifs.gov.au/sites/default/files/publication-documents/rr33.pdf
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

OrphanCrow

And thank you for bothering to get this.....I completely missed that section as there was a point where I had to actually get some food.........Please thank Sailaway too.

Any other sites you could recommend dear Orphan?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    umber: Any other sites you could recommend dear Orphan?

Yes. I like Barbara's site for the recorded videos of the sessions.

It is easy to find the session you want to watch or re-watch.

http://watchtowerdocuments.org/

The intro music on each video is great, I love it...good pick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit