Local authors nominated for writing awards

by Kent 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

Local authors nominated for writing awards

The nominees are in for Brave New Words 2001: The Manitoba Writing and Publishing Awards. The April 28 gala at CanWest Global Performing Arts Centre is open to the public and admission is free.

Former Winnipegger Carol Shields is on the shortlist for the Margaret Laurence Award for Fiction for her short-story collection Dressing Up for the Carnival, with Heather Frayne (Last Night's Dream), Sarah Klassen (The Peony Season), and Wayne Tefs (Moon Lake).

Tefs is also among the nominees for the McNally Robinson Book of the Year Award, along with Miriam Toews (Swing Low: A Life) Dennis Cooley (Irene), David Butterfield and Maureen Devanuk Butterfield (If Walls Could Talk: Manitoba's Best Buildings Explored and Explained) and James Kostelniuk (Wolves Among Sheep: The True Story of Murder in a Jehovah's Witness Community).

Toews and Kostelniuk are also up for a non-fiction award, as is Dave Williamson (Author! Author! Encounters With Famous Writers).

Acclaimed writers Margaret Buffie (The Watcher), Linda Holeman (Raspberry House Blues), Carol Matas (Rebecca) and Ishbel Moore (Annilea) are all in the running for the McNally Robinson Book for Young People Award (older category).

-- Winnipeg Sun

• JAVA
    JAVA

Kent,

Have you read, Wolves Among Sheep: The True Story of Murder in a Jehovah's Witness Community, by James Kostelniuk?

--JAVA
    counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well I found this book last week in a used book store and it sat on the shelf for a couple of days until I finished th ebook I was reading.

Once cracked open I could not put this down.

It truly is a tragic story of two JWs who marry for the wrong reasons like most JWs and barely know each other. They quickly find out they are incompatible even thinking that before the wedding but as JWs they can't break off the engagement without the elders coming down on them hard. So they go through the wedding, the marriage is a mess and he begins to voice his issues with the WTS. Well she eventually puts her back up and they separate, eventually divorce and then she blocks his access to their 2 children because they want to serve Jehovah and he is disfellowshipped.

Out of the blue she takes off and meets a JW, marries him rather quickly only to discover he has lied about everything he has toild her. Within 2 weeks of the marriage she leaves him to stay at her new mother-in-law's until she can escape to her family in Canada. The second husband stalks her and eventually murders her and the kids.

The book is the father's story of what happened and information gleaned from the trial.

It is tragic. It also paints a very clear picture of how the elders contributed to this tragedy by telling her repeatedly that her obligation was to be with her husband.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit