Is the basis for the "true religion" ...

by Gig 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

Hello all,

I am not and have never been a JW. However, I have spent the last two years meeting with them and studying with them. Not to worry, from practically my first day of research (independent thinking) I discovered what I am convinced is a very clear example of false religion. But this doesn't relieve my compassion and the responsibility of forebearance. I fault the message, not the messenger. Yes, it disturbs me greatly to know that there are millions of them "faithfully" teaching falsehood door to door. It makes me think of Proverbs 11:14 "For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure." (NIV)

Here's my question...is it still the "official" teaching with regard to the "true religion" that Christ returned in 1914 and "hand picked" the WTS in 1919?

Let's pretend for a moment, Jesus returned in 1914 unknown by anyone but the WTS. He didn't mind that they still celebrated holidays and birthdays, the WT even printed their own Christmas cards for sale as gifts. It was a cross and not yet a stake. I'm sure Jesus would have read their latest and greatest book, "The Finished Mystery". (Even witnesses have to admit that book was total nonsense in full flight) No doubt He would have admired Russell's pyramid "theology" and double checked his chronological math. Hey, they were (and still are) the ONLY ones who say Jerusalem fell in 607 which is how they arrive at 1914. I wonder if He looked in on all the plans for the "Millions" campaign?

Anyway, if all that is true, how could Christ (and all current witnesses) ignore the FACT that from 1914 through 1919, and officially until 1943, the WTS taught that He had returned forty years before in 1874? 1914 was taught to be the "end" not the beginning of His "presence".

So again my question, although most all witnesses have their "own" personal testimony, isn't it still officially the foundation of the "true religion" teaching?

My first post,

Gig

• Buster
    Buster

Welcome Gig.

You are hitting on one of the key issues: It isn't what they taught. The issue is that the Governing Body (the self-styled Faithful and and Discreet Slave) sets itself up as prophet/mediator/god for its followers. An earlier thread or two from the last few days dealt with this exact point.

If the GB (I can never use the 'FDS' without thinking of the hygiene product) tells people that the difference is 'new light', they accept it, hook, line, and sinker. By now they are so used to it, that even those that have been around for a while will profess to believe the the WTS never proclaimed 1975 as the end of the world.

Its one thing for JWs to think that the 'light' from the GB has grown brighter, and that understanding is so great now. It is another thing for Witnesses to ignore that their founders believed in things that would make a Jamaican Television Psychic blush. My wife's and my favorite is the Great Pyramid - closely followed by the construction of a home to welcome the resurrected Princes of the earth -Beth Sarim.

If the JWs want to claim to have been on a road with ever-increasing quality of light, then their founders should have had some light back then. Fact is, I don't think there is one belief of Russell's that the WTS would stand behind today - not one. Their Founder had no light.

But these facts are irrelevant to those that accept the WTS edicts as though they are direct statements from God.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Welcome to the board Gig, and very good thought provoking question. I will let others answer, because I have been out for a few years, and don't have a clue what the latest change is. Not that I paid much attention to begin with anyways.

• Gig
    Gig

Buster, thanks for your reply. I understand all too well the Proverbs 4:18 hideaway, but isn't this still present truth for them...even though they don't realize it? If there has been issued new light, what is it? I really can't imagine the WTS giving up the exclusive of being hand picked, even if they don't promote it much. Just a few months ago they were bragging about the Studies in the Scriptures series.

Thanks again,

Gig

• garybuss
    garybuss

Welcome Gig, Yes the doctrine of the "appointment" named both 1918 and 1919. It started when the United States Government let Rutherford and his gang out of prison. When Rutherford and his cronies were appointed by God because of the truth of their teachings, the holy spirit quit working because it was replaced by Joe and his gang, according to the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation.

The appointment is the cornerstone doctrine and without it, all falls apart like a two dollar suitcase in the rain.

You wrote: "Let's pretend for a moment, Jesus returned in 1914 unknown by anyone but the WTS."

As you know, they didn't know it either.

You wrote: "Hey, they were (and still are) the ONLY ones who say Jerusalem fell in 607 which is how they arrive at 1914."

That's not actually how they arrived at it. Actually "they" didn't arrive at it at all. See the book Three Worlds Or Plan Of Redemption by Nelson Barbour and Volume #3 of Studies In The Scriptures by Charles Russell. The date 1914 came from the followers of the Second Advent movement founded by William Miller.

You are on the right track. The whole Witness movement is based on disappointment, failure, superstition, and a dead man's delusion. This is without even getting into the inerrancy and infallibility debate relative to the sacred writings of the Christians and the Jews or the history, concepts, and principles of theism itself.

gb

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

• Gig
    Gig

GaryBuss,

Thanks for your reply. If you trace it even further, William Miller got it from John Aquila Brown who predicted Christ's return in 1823. Oh, and it failed to pass too.

Gig

• Buster
    Buster

You are quite right. They have to hold to some base of interpretation in order to claim authority. And claim it they do. According to their fantasies, Christ returned and took a look around, for a few years, then decided on one organization. But that was after Russell - even though shortly after.

Who was bragging about the Studies in the Scriptures series? It couldn't have been a recent publication. I can only guess that you were studing with an old-timer. Correct me if I'm wrong. I find the 'Studies in the Scriptures' particularly interesting since I just ordered the whole set - from 1911. I can't wait to read how he backs asserts the Great Pyramid and the rest of the clap-trap, in his own words, on his own paper, and in full context.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a belief, or prediction that the JWs stand behind today. That isn't to say that they don't follow the same approach, mainly that the bible is an encoded message for the few enlighted to figure out and pass along to the rest of us poor slobs.

• kelpie
    kelpie

*does a little dance around the room*

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME. this is a great place to "hang out" You will make some really good and lasting friendships on this board.

It is also a good place to air your views and questions as you have seen you will get many different replies.

Again Gig, welcome

Kelps

• Gig
    Gig

Buster, I'm certain it was recent...2001 or possibly even earlier this year. In the back of one of the Watchtower mags it has an article about a couple of men who were soooooooo enriched by the writings of Russell. Specifically mentioned were his Studies of the Scriptures. Incredibly blatant I thought. It offered me a great question for all the witnesses I know, why are they implying that those books were ever helpful, and especially now?

Gig

• butalbee
    butalbee

Welcome to the board Gig.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit