Could this news cause a new revolt of members taking the lead like that which happened after the 1975 fiasco?

by opusdei1972 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    We know that after the 1975 fiasco there were some revolts and disappointments in the brotherhood, which finally caused the removal of Raymond Franz and overseers like James Penton, and so on. So, may be these news could cause the revolt of some members in the leadership. Any thoughts?
  • sir82
    sir82
    It should, at the very least, get elders to wonder if they too would be left to twist in the wind in a judicial proceeding, while the "magnificent 7", whom those elders are trying to protect, are enjoying the jacuzzi at the Warwick resort.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The difference is that the leadership (assuming you're talking about the GB and those directly below them) already knew of the problem. This isn't a prediction failing, it's a problem they're aware of being exposed. I think the reaction will likely be different due to that fact. Furthermore, since it's coming at them from secular authorities (and not the inexorable passage of time) it's more likely that they'll direct their anger somewhere other than at the cult.

What I do hope, though, is that this leads to a revolt of some elders and R/F JWs with children.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I don't think so, it's still to small. It has to be really really big and constant like every month and hitting every news outlet. Even to the point where it becomes a constant item for joking by comedians on television like SNL. To the point where it becomes to embarrassing to be associated with the Watchtower.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So, maybe these news could cause the revolt of some members in the leadership.

I don't think so. At least not beyond Australia. If some "heads roll" of the Elders or Branch Members who are obliged to testify, then there could be some collateral damage locally.

I suspect this is more of a firestorm in Australia, and perhaps elsewhere in the UK, but it will only get a few blurbs in the news in the US. It won't be a blip on the screen to the R&F JW here. Oh, there will probably be a 5 minute agenda item for an update during the GB Meeting tomorrow (Wed) but then it will be on to more important things, ie, How do we get more money in the bank account? (Taking care of the more important things.)

Doc

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No way.

Since Ray Franz, the vetting process has been way too stringent to let someone like that slip through.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    I remember that some decades ago the Catholic Church was arrogant in denying that the sexual abuse was an issue in the Church. At least, the John Paul II ignored the complaints against the priest Marcial Maciel, and so on. However, I think that the frequent news obligated the Vatican to admit that the Church has serious problem with sexual abuses. However, the GB still doesn't want to admit it.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I think another 1975 is overdue... is this it? I am not sure but for certain, it does not seem far fetched that this time, rather than making another prediction, they would make much broader statement to drive the flock to feel the attack of Gog of Magog has started. Once it settles and the money has been secured, the flock would have no one to blame but themselves, for no direct instructions from the FDS were communicated or affirmed on such attack.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

AM3: " I've heard reports that the elders down under are revolting. Should we be concerned it's 75 allover again?"

Lett: " No, don't worry bro. It's just the lying apostates again."

• fastJehu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit