1,000 sex abuse cases hidden in Australia for 68,000 publishers...what is it worldwide?

by cappytan 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The NSPCC in the UK have some published estimates for the rates of child abuse in the UK. This covers all types of abuse, not just sexual. According to their website:

There are currently over 50,000 children identified as needing protection from abuse in the UK

Over 62,000 children and young people talked to ChildLine about abuse last year

We estimate that for every child identified as needing protection from abuse, another 8 are suffering abuse

This is in a population of around 64 million. If you are to assume that the congregation is pretty much a reflection of society in general then a very rough calculation of the UK membership (130k) and the worldwide membership (8mil) against the estimated figure above ((50000*8)/64000000) gives around 800 children in the UK and 50000 worldwide as needing protection from abuse now.

To be far to the other posts, this is not exactly comparing apples with apples. This is not purely sexual abuse and there is no real way of knowing so even this type of calculation is hardly scientific but even reducing the numbers by an highly optimistic 90% is chilling.

I think it's clear that the numbers will always be speculative but what the figures from Oz do show is that the problem is not limited to a short period of time and not insignificant. If there is any similar numbers worldwide then the scale of the problem over the decades is frightening.

There has to be a small band of brothers that know the real figures globally and I bet they are absolutely terrified that there is increased publicity on this and what that might mean in terms of legal exposure.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Sometimes I think the WTS's Legal Department is either full of idiots, or has been given an - ultimately - impossible task.
  • campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

I think they have been given an impossible task IMHO

What confuses me, is if these guys think its impossible, and are stressed and don't agree with the "rules" in dealing with sex offenders, why didn't they all go on strike or something. Or refuse to work?

Safety in numbers. The GB can't get rid of all the lawyers and solicitors. It will be suicide for the GB.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

In 1950 there were >7000 publishers. In 1960, 14000. Now 68000+.

Hmmm. Had they grown at that pace -since they more than doubled between 1960 nbd 1970, theyd have 450,000 by 2010, 675,000 by 2015.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I wonder if things got real bad that many in the legal department might jump ship.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Brokeback...

Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened to a crooked corporation.

x

Take it a step further, and imagine if any of them might consider turning whistleblower in exchange for immunity from prosecution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit