call yourself apostates!

by Brummie 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

When in the WT we seldom heard of anyone becoming "apostate", sure there was 1 or 2 in the USA somewhere (durrr) but very seldom would we call anyone who left "apostates", so why does it appear that everyone calls themselves apostate if they left for other reasons? The mindset of most JWs was that an "apostate" was someone who left the WTS to join another religion in the world empire of false religion (btg), right? Not that it matters at all but just wondering.

Apostate Brummie

as we go from door to door to spread the kingdom news, to be sheep or to be goats we let the people choose...an apostate Kingdom melody

• freedom96
    freedom96

Hi Brummie-

I too remember that apostates were rather rare. Growing up, I remember people talking about a local one, who was rumered to have started another religion. I think in reality it was a support group for ex witnesses run out of another church.

I also remember of course, those who faded away, and those that got df'd.

My understanding of an apostate, was not neccessarily one who went and joined another religion, but one who just told the WTS to take a flying leap, or in kinder words, simply felt that the WTS was not the true religion. I didn't think any other action was needed.

I still feel that way. There are those who are df'd, but believe it to be the truth, those who believe it but are "weak" and faded away, and then those who left knowing and feeling in their heart that the WTS is not IT.

• Brummie
    Brummie

J...Hmmm just as I had suspected

Edited by - Brummie on 2 November 2002 23:14:34

• Brummie
    Brummie

My understanding of an apostate, was not neccessarily one who went and joined another religion, but one who just told the WTS to take a flying leap, or in kinder words, simply felt that the WTS was not the true religion. I didn't think any other action was needed.

Oh yeah your right, its all coming back to me now, one only had to disagree with the WTS and they were bordering on apostacy. Then they only had to speak out to another about the disagreement and then they were full blown apostate....

Like you I still seldom heard about people leaving because of being "apostate" though, I guess the WTS didnt like admitting people left through doctrinal disagreements so just labled them all "opposers" instead.

Brum

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

I can remember that the word "apostate" was always said in a hushed voice, along with "evil slave" and yes there didnt seem to be many around back when I was a JW, but I contribute that to lack of information for example the internet.

• Robdar
    Robdar

In my 22 years as a JW, I never heard the term apostate. Occasionally "evil slave" was mentioned from the podium. I first became aware of the term apostate, when I joined this forum. I like it. Think I'm gonna keep it.

• Simon
    Simon

It sounds cool ... "he's gone A-po"

• link
    link

The reason that we hear the word "apostate" more often these days is that the JWs have changed the meaning of the dictionary definition in the same way that they have changed the meaning of the word "truth".

The description "apostate" can only properly be applied to a person whereas we find them talking about "apostate literature" and "apostate web sites" etc

What they actually mean is that in their opinion the material contained in them is produced by apostate persons.

If they incorrectly attach the word to so many other parts of our language there is little wonder that we hear the term so often now.

link

• Robdar
    Robdar
    It sounds cool ... "he's gone A-po"

Simon, that is hilarious.

• Francois
    Francois

I never heard the word apostate either, much less saw anyone DF because of it. This was before the Internet. With the coming of the internet and the relative ease of distributing information disclosing the absurdity of JW so-called "theology" the witnesses are being exposed and attacked like they never have been before. So the leadership needed a new rationalization to DF people, and that is by jumping up every little disagreement into an act of apostacy. It's just another way of keeping the rank and file in line.

The JWs are an organization of fear; fear of being DF, fear of losing your family in this life, fear of not living through Armageddon, fear of not making it to the next life, fear, fear fear. In this simple manner we are assured that the JWs represent their father the devil for there is certainly nothing to fear from a loving father, like the one Jesus described.

To be called apostate by the organization of JWs is a mark of spiritual maturity. IMO>

francois.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit