DVD Piracy ... too blatant?

by Simon 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I don't know if anyone is interested in DVD's and DVD writers ... I've got my eye on the new Sony DRU-500A that supports both competing formats DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW (so you can jump in without ending up with a 'betamax'). There is also a new piece of software due called DVDXCopy (http://www.dvdxcopy.com/) that promises to make one click copying of DVD's possible (or at least easier than it was before).

I think hollywood sucks bigtime and will suffer bigtime because they have been ripping us off big time.

DVDs are cheaper to produce than tapes and could easily be sold for half the current price while still making a profit. If they were a reasonable price then there would not be such an incentive to copy things (as it would not be worth the inconvenience)

One news item made me laugh 'cause it was so obvious:

In an exclusive promotion with Hollywood Video, Toshiba is giving away 10 free DVD rentals with the purchase of any Toshiba branded DVD player between November 15th and December 31st, 2002. Consumers can choose from Toshiba's broad range of DVD players covering key price ranges and feature sets, including the industry's first DVD recorder with an 80GB built-in hard disc drive (RD-X2),

I think they also provide some blank DVD's too ... excellent !

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

mmmmm very tempting i was gonna get the pioneer 1,tell me whats different between sony and pioneer dvd writers,

Lovely i could copy or backup all my films,i know i can get cheap dvd clanks for 60p each i think and verbatim 1s for 2.50 each

So has a final standard been set ie:dvd rw, dvd rom, dvd ram.,dvdr, im confused, i want a drive which cpys disks which would play in almost all domestic dvd players

• Simon
    Simon

The Sony drive is for PC's while the other one is a standalone, consumer device.

I've read conflicting things about compatibility but it seems some domestic DVD players prefer DVD-R and some prefer DVD+R. I did find a page where you could look up your device and see which it would work with but I didn;t make a not of it (doh!)

It seems Pioneer and some other makers came out with DVD-R but the 'big guns' like Dell, Microsoft & Sony are backing DVD+R. They each have some pro's and con's but will probably converge (as seen by the Sony drive supporting both).

DVD writers are also starting to appear in laptops but must current ones are the minus spec rather than the plus.

Ironically, given the Apple target market of multimedia creation it is likely to be the last to market with a DVD writing laptop as no one so far is making a slot loading drive which they have.

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

I was going to pay 220.00 for the pioneer

Now it looks like im gonna get the sony one if it supports both

And yeh that dvd program looks good mmm i wonder if it ill be on kazaa LOL

I wonder how much the sony is

• Simon
    Simon

It's about 210 pounds in the UK ... I think about $350 US ?

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

How much can you get dvd blanks for?

Also with older software you had to copy audio and video compression seperately and this took hours with this new 1 it looks like it does both together lovely in 1 hour

MMM im wondering if it really does work in 1 hour im suspicious

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/ is good for both CDR and DVD.

Ignored One.

• breeze
    breeze

I am just now doing the CD copying with KaZaa, but am eagerly awating the day I can make DVD copies from the net.

If anyone deserves to get screwed it's HOLLYWOOD. I got involved in a stock deal with a movie production company about ten years ago, they just sold about $10,000.00 from me. I can remember when the VCR's first came out though and everyone was saying no one would go to the movies anymore?

I think I will just buy my next PC with all the copying stuff internal, give them a couple years to get cheap and better. I saw a Compaq PC last weekend with CD writer and DVD writer, 80 gigs, 2.53 gigahertz, for $1100.00, at CompUSA.

BREEZE

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Simon, I'd watch software packages like this, as you can pretty much get programs to do this for free off the net. Alot of times these things are just packages of the same free software. Also here in the US, because of the good old DMCA (Digital Millinium Copyright Act) this software package would be illegal. And yes it's a criminal offense, just ask Dimitry Sackrolov, he had the misfortune of writting an adobe e-book reader that landed him in FBI custody. And he was in russia when he wrote it, which makes me think this is just another one of those package deals. I agree DVD's are too much. The one I'm actually looking at, is by panasonic I believe, it's a standalone PVR, with 40 Gig drive to record shows onto, plus a dvd burner/player, to record shows you want to keep to DVD, plus it has a firewire connection, so you can take digital camcorder videos and dump them to DVD as well, or in my case straight from Computer to DVD via firewire. I'm going to wait to get more info on it though, I want to see if you can make the DVD drive show up as an actual drive using firewire, that would be sweet. No reason it shouldn't be able to either.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

Hey Simon!

Here in Canada the prices are about $500. A buddy of mine has the A03 and the A04 both by Pioneer. They are a bit glitchy and you have to watch the media that you use with it. The media I can purchase for $69 cdn for a spindle of 25 DVD-R's in Toronto. Not a bad price. My buddy has a friend in England who seems to get a good deal on blanks as well..

I like the Pioneer unit and can attest to it's compatiblity with standalone DVD players. I haven't had the pleasue of using a combo drive but they sound good. You should be able to get a good deal on a combo drive such as the Sony 500 unit. You can find alot of info and DVD writing and hardware at www.cdfreaks.com. Check out the forums...

Hope this helps....

Wolfy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit