Today I reversed preached to JW's about the scandal in Australia

by ILoveTTATT2 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

So today a friend recommended that I ask the Witnesses about the news in Australia. I am in Mexico, in a city called Mazatlán.

Two weeks ago I talked with some JW's on the cart about the Septuagint and the different Bible versions. So we had had a decently amicable conversation back then (I have never admitted I was a JW).

So today I saw them again, same place, same time. I said, hi, how are you? Did you have a chance to investigate more about the Septuagint?

They both were like, "Oh, no, sorry. I was too busy with work... you know how things are".

(Yes, cults keep people so busy that they don't have time to think).

After that, I said, "Hey, did you know you guys are in the news?"

They kinda glowed for a minute, possibly expecting me to tell them that they were good news about JW's (in Mexico, 80% of news about JW's are good... they must pay the papers or a JW works in the papers or something)...

I told them, "Well, they are news from Australia. There was an investigation on child abuse, and you were investigated, and it turns out, that you hid 1006 pedophiles for the past 60 years."

They inmediately went "Oh, that can't be true!! Where did you hear that????"

I said, "Well, a very reputable source, CNN."

They said, "CNN or whatever, we don't care who says that, it musn't be true." (They almost... almost said "Satan misleads the media to tell lies about us". I could see their mouths almost opening up to say that. But they knew better).

I said, "Seriously? That's how you answer this? I bet you that if I went to a Catholic right now, and asked them about the sexual abuse within their church, no one would deny it. They would accept it, grudgingly perhaps, but accept it... Why don't you accept your own?"

I continued, "Besides, it was one of YOUR PEOPLE who admitted this. That they knew but hid the evidence".

They said, "Well... I don't know, maybe they did it like that, but we [implying, in Mexico] don't do things that way. Maybe the brother who said that was afraid."

Me: "They said things under oath. Placed hand in the Bible, said "I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth...""

They: "Well, I don't know about them, but each person will be responsible before Jehovah."

One of them then showed her real personality: "I don't agree with that"

I said, "With what"?

She said, "I don't agree with what they did (in Australia). I think that the law is the law and it must be applied to EVERYONE. If they have committed a crime, they SHOULD pay."

I wanted her to repeat that, so I said "Seriously? So if you knew that one of your people did something like that, would you denounce him to the police?"

She said: "Absolutely"!

And the other JW woman said: "Me too"!

I left it at that. The second they know that JW official policies would have them expelled for trying to protect children, I am sure they will INSTANTLY wake up.

• possum
    possum
    Been there done that! two witness policy protected our child's abuser and when we finally!! got the courage to wake up and speak up we where vilified, shunned, called demonized, accused of poisoning other peoples hearts by sharing information.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

JWs are liars under the guise of 'Theocratic Warfare'. Their number one goal is to protect Jehovah and not let his name be dragged through the mud. The one elder from Candace's hearings said that the elders are not there as physical protectors but spiritual ones. Well, dickhead, if your physical well being is compromised, so is your spiritual well being. They are interconnected.

The cult mind set is strong with many JWs. With others, they know there are issues and things like this only help to awaken them further and assist with them drumming up enough courage to leave.

If god is real, why does he allow this crap to go on? Answer, there is no god. It's all men and their BS Patriarchy. And they can shove it up their a$$es!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    ILoveTTATT: So if you knew that one of your people did something like that, would you denounce him to the police?"

She said: "Absolutely"!

That's what they SAY, but that is most clearly NOT WHAT THEY DO.

• antes8080
    antes8080
    Yeah well Mr Campos who molested many kids in San Diego fled to Mexico fearing extradition and he is freely going door to door.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Oubliette,

I believe her. I think she would have the guts to go against the borg, like Barbara Anderson. She is one JW just waiting to wake up...
  • steve2
    steve2

The OP makes excellent points. We ought not doubt the JW lady who said she would report it to authorities if she knew sexual abuse was being hidden. There is very different thinking among people nowadays about child sexual abuse - no thanks to religion but to enlightened public education and awareness campaigns.

The organization is in a bind. If it continues to reactively defend its patriarchal policies and practices, it risks significant disaffection among the rank and file, whether verbalized or not.

If when asked a JW says to us, "Yes, I would go to the authorities", who are we to sneer and say, 'She's just lying" and mouth off about theocractic warfare.

Give the woman a break. She was asked a decent question. She answered. If she said, 'No I wouldn't go to the police', you'd condemn her. She says 'Yes, I'd go to the authorities' and you still condemn her.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"The second they know that JW official policies would have them expelled for trying to protect children"

Now THAT was perhaps not exactly true, was it?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    She may not be lying saying she'd go to the authorities. I think most JWs would have that same reaction. . . UNTIL they spoke to the elders first, who would lean on them for prudence and discretion and trust in Jehovah to handle things. At that point the JW would either capitulate and fall into line, or her faith in the Borg would begin to crack.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Heaven.

JWs are liars under the guise of 'Theocratic Warfare'. Their number one goal is to protect Jehovah and not let his name be dragged through the mud

This is what I have been waiting to hear in the RC. I have been waiting for someone to introduce this part of JW thinking and lying. I completely agree with you. They can lie with ease in the name of "Jehovah" and it's done so often and in such a devious way.

Possum. Truly sorry for what has happened to you. Really, I feel glad your' here and adding your bit to the stream of information. Take good care now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit