Did You Get Your Flu Shot?

by Sentinel 31 Replies latest social physical

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Both my husband and I got ours this week. It seems the supply is limited again this season. He didn't have any side affects, but my arm has been hurting since yesterday. First, it itched and then swelled a bit, and today its really sore.

I haven't gotten the shot for years, but felt I should, since my husband has some health issues and I don't want to bring it home to him. Plus, we are getting older, and they recommend it for persons over 50.

The last time I got the shot, several years back, I ended up getting a very bad flu anyway and missed nearly two weeks of work. I have mixed feelings about the benefits.

Do you get the shot? Do you think it really works? Are you concerned about side affects?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Got mine yesterday

How much did you pay? I've been seeing them advertised for $25 in most places... which is waaay high. I managed to get mine for $16 at work.

• butalbee
    butalbee

I got one last yr. Don't know about this yr though.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have had my shot every year for over five years now, after a particularly nasty flu knocked me out but good. That shot has saved me a fortune in medications. Not to mention the benefits of days and days of good health. I have barely been sick until last year. Asking around, I figure the shot works better for some than others. If your immune system is fairly healthy to begin with, the flu shot helps even more. My family members who have serious health problems get less of a benefit.

• gumby
    gumby

Sentinel,

Good topic!

I can get one for free through my wifes work and I'm holding off. Why? I talked to 4 people about it and all said they got sick, puked, got the poops etc.( sorry for being crude...it's just me )

they recommend it for persons over 50.

I'm 48 so think I might weight a couple years. I've seen others get sick with the shot or not. I't's a hard one to answer.

Thanks gal

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I have had a flu shot each year for the last 10 years or so. I am moderately asthmatic, so I get it free thorugh our public health flu clinics. I have had a sore arm some years, and just take some acetaminophen( like Tylenol) for a day or two. Before I started getting the flu shot, because of my asthma, if I got influenza, I got very sick with bronchitis or pneumonia. The flu shot has made a big difference in my health by working preventatively.

• jack2
    jack2

I always enjoyed getting the flu - the fever, chills, and vomiting can all be quite fun indeed.

Kidding aside, I have never received the shot. I have not had the flu in a long time (watch, I'll get it now that I wrote this ), and so I feel that it's not worth the possible risk of side effects. I realize those side-effects are rather rare, but for now I opt not to get the shot. That could change, of course.

Edited by - jack2 on 30 October 2002 13:52:55

• Xandria
    Xandria

I don't get the flu shot due to what happened to my beloved Aunt Violet. Back when they began the flu shots in the 80's she did get a shot. An it caused her to have a disease called Gillian's Barette ( not sure if I spelled it correctly). At first they thought it was food poisioning, she was so bad that they rushed her to the hospital, she was was out for days, then when we thought she was getting better, she lapse back into a coma and died. They did an autopsy and found this was caused by the shot for flu she recieved.

Xandria

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I probably should have asked this question before I got the shot. Xandria, your story is frightening. I did look up the information on the internet, and it mentioned the very "rare " Guillain-Barre Syndrom". But, they say it can strike anyone, at any age, and is not just the result of how the immune system attacks the flu germ, after the serum introduces it into the body. Most patients recover, but others, like your Aunt, succumb to the great weakness and breathing problems. It seems in the worse of cases, it can interfere with the function of our major organs. Existing health issues and age play a major part.

I read all this and said to myself "I don't know one person who has ever gotten this syndrom", and so I felt safe. Having read your experience, it sure makes it a scary thing, doesn't it?

I went to my doctor to get mine and it cost the co-pay of $15.00 (Trigon). I just got back from some errands at lunch, and noticed that Giant was offering them for $25.00. By the way, Elsewhere, I like your "signature"...with the mythology being the teachings of the WTBTS, of course.

Gumby, like you, I got my last shot at 50, which was six years ago. When I got it, I then got a virus, and even though it was coincidental, I hadn't got one since. My husband is also 48, and he has to get it due to his diabetes. So, in order to tdo my part to keep the bug from getting into our home, I went ahead and got the shot because he asked me to.

I suppose in life, everything we do is "chance". I'd really hate to get the bad flu, because I'm in good health, and rarely get sick. But, I remember it well. Jack2, your description,ahhhhhhhh, how I remember laying around, with the fever, chills, weakness, and thinking to myself "will I ever be normal again?". It's so awful. Well, at least the flu I had. There are so many types out there.

I understand how Concernedmama and Jgnat feel, and I know it's benefits far outweight the negatives--but, still, it does make you think.

We are going on two airplanes trips in November, and airliners are notorious for spreading germs, because their air is just re-circulated over and over. (I hate to think about it) So many folks in the airports and planes in close quarters. Travelers are advised to get the shot as well. Oh, well, it's done.

The tylenol works fairly well, in keeping the pain and stiffness at bay. The first signs of the syndrom is when your muscles and nerves become suddenly weak, and your bod wants to shut down. So, in the earliest stages, the signs can often be mistaken and/or go undiagnosed. Since I suffer from bouts of extremely painful and dibilitating Fibromyalgia (a muscle and nerve disorder, as well), I wonder how I would know the difference...........And, maybe they diagnosed me wrong in the first place, and I had the syndrom instead? I better stop this, I'm getting a bit paranoid here.

Wasn't there something about how the borg didn't think these immunizations were good? Seems like I remember that from my active years. Something about a blood component in the serum....Do any of you recall that?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

We get ours at work next week. The company supplies them and I've been taking them for about 6 years now, no problems at all.

However, be aware they are not a cure all nor do they prevent all strains of the flu, just what CDC thought would be the most virulent breakout this year. But, I do notice I don't get as bad of colds since starting to take them. Maybe that is a side benefit.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit