What to do to live and work in the US?

by fulano 20 Replies latest jw friends

• fulano
    fulano

I lived in NY for almost a year (yes at the headquarters), still after a couple of years I long to go back and live in the best country of the world, the US of A. Does anyone know what the requierements are? I speak dutch, english and spanish fluently, at this moment I am self-employed, live and work in the netherlands, experienced in managing in sales. How should I get started? Thanks for your comments.

Edited by - fulano on 30 October 2002 5:4:28

Edited by - fulano on 30 October 2002 5:6:52

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Now, how could you possibly consider the US of A any better than our gorgeous and beautiful Netherlands? Well??

Just kidding [well, actually I am not kidding, who would ever want to leave Holland?!?] I don't know. Good luck to you tho, but what I know of it, it is rather difficult to get a work permit, or a job at all as an European, but I could be mistaken.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Surely the US government has websites about this sort of thing?

Strange that the Americans on this board haven't responded yet......

• fulano
    fulano

@Vivamus, did you read your mail? I am really fed up with this country with it's traffic-jams, k*utmarokkanen (). Compare this to the Paterson-region where I stayed a few months as well, a nice house for 200.000 dollars and all the space you can imagine, and no government rip-offs on taxes and so on. Not to speak of the weather here, three days of sun and the rest of the year rain and wind.

• Celia
    Celia

The best would be if a US company wanted to hire you. You would have a reason to come and stay in the US --- then you apply for your green card.

I don't know the procedure. I came to visit my future husband, had to go back to France for a couple months, because of the time limit for my visit, then I applied for a green card and it took about 2 years to get it !

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I lived in NY for almost a year (yes at the headquarters

I am really fed up with this country with it's traffic-jams,

You lived in NY, and you say your fed up with YOUR country's traffic jams????

Spend a month driving around on Washington DC's Capitol Beltway.

Seriously. Here's the Web site you need to explore. http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm

Edited by - El Kabong on 30 October 2002 7:38:9

• fulano
    fulano

What happened is that in NY I used public transportation in the weekends, the rest of the time I spent working, so traffic-jams didn't bother me. Now I drive about 45.000 miles a year and believe me this whole country is full of cars and trucks...so now it does bother me. I really loved Manhattan and Brooklyn but now I would prefer the Patterson region...

The others..thanks for the comments.

Edited by - fulano on 30 October 2002 8:6:19

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

fulano, read the topic on "should the Haitians be allowed to stay." I think you should be able to come with out any question. If you cannot do anything, we have a wonderful welfare system that will support you. If that does not work we can find a way for you to sue your way to a living.

edited to add:

I say all this with a smile and my tounge firmly in my cheek....Can't you get free drugs and stuff in the Netherlands? Why would you want to come here?!

Edited by - teenyuck on 30 October 2002 9:8:2

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Fulano:

I hope you didn't take offense to my comments. I meant no offense

• Scully
    Scully

It's probably easier to emigrate to Canada.

But you didn't hear that from me.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit