DOES BELIEF IN THE BIBLE DESTROY ONE'S INTELLECTUAL CAPACITY?

by TerryWalstrom 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Based on information to be found at: http://www.csicop.org/si/show/when_dont_the_highly_educated_believe_in_evolution_the_bible_believers_effe/

The Bible-Believers Effect

Those who believe the Bible is the word of God (“Bible believers”) and those who don’t believe the Bible is the word of God (“Bible nonbelievers”) differ in their beliefs that humans evolved from earlier species of animals. Based on data from 2006 to 2012 in the General Social Survey (which is a nationally representative sample of American adults), 23 percent of those who believe the Bible is the word of God believe in human evolution, compared to 66 percent of those who don’t believe the Bible is the word of God.1

The stronger a person’s commitment to religion (i.e., the more strongly the person holds core religious beliefs and the more frequently the person engages in religious practices) the more likely the person is to deny scientific facts (such as human evolution and the big bang theory) that conflict with the person’s strongly held religious beliefs (cf. Kahan et al. 2012).

CLEARLY, I think, the emotional priority has precedence in religious persons. Belief is connected with escaping death (living forever), reward (heaven/ paradise), loyalty, love, fellowship, etc.

But, all the above comes at the cost of ones ability TO ACCEPT EVIDENCE over belief!

What is your reaction?

Note

1. The results are fr­om a sample of 4,084 respondents. Subsequent results are also fr­om the General Social Survey.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Destroy? I would like to think of it like an addiction and like any addiction it probably disables thinking ability for a while but rehabilitation is possible.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As a former cult member, I know that certain totally wrong beliefs and intelligence are not often connected at all. A JW or a fundy Christian may not desire to be "intellectual" but otherwise, the one doesn't necessarily affect the other at all.

It can, though. A person can turn off their logic when it comes to science or when it comes to needing proof of their beliefs. But otherwise, most Bible believers seem to bathe in their cognitive dissonance. They can understand evolution as good as the next person whether they believe it or not, they can have intellectual discussions on issues or philosophies.

Before you go finding plenty of exceptions, there are plenty of exceptions in all belief systems. Plenty of people aren't much when it comes to being "intellectuals."

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

If we are dealing with the USA I would say yes. 60% of Americans recently said evolution is false.

Now religion in itself is not bad if we are talking Buddiism, Taoism etc. Christianity however forces you to accept things that simply can be proven false scientifically.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

I don't believe such studies are without merit, but they are not universally applicable.

The Big Bang theory was developed by a Catholic priest, Msgr. Georges Lemaitre. I have an IQ that allows me to carry a Mensa card, and I'm a religious Jew and a scientist. Belief in Scripture has not altered our minds for the worse.

What the problem is has little to do with Scripture. It has to do with religious ideologies that promote ambiguity intolerance and the compartmentalization of life into polarized opposing issues. This type of simplification logic is not unique to theists or Bible readers either. It also occurs in Eastern thought like the religion of Imperial Japanese during WWII, and currently ISIL. Bible use and belief in Scripture has not been inarguably shown to lower or suppress intelligence, nor is its use necessary for people to act stupid.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My answer to the posed question is yes, strong religious beliefs have a tendency to stunt intellectual growth and maturity, for the simple reason that these held beliefs become a reality in acceptance, blocking out other information which may contravene those established beliefs.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Does Biblical belief destroy one's intellectual ability? My answer is maybe. It depends on the person and their personality. I know a scientist who is an Evangelical Christian (but not young Earth Creationist). He has a saying that science and religion should remain a 100 yards from each other.

They seem to be able to compartmentalize their beliefs keeping the science far apart from the religion.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I truly believe so.
  • jhine
    jhine

Calebinfloroda , thank you . I don't know where these surveys are conducted but these conclusions just do not ring true to me . I KNOW many very committed Christians , listen to a Christian radio station and online sermons from the Free Church of Scotland ,read many books written by Christians and most Christians are educated , thoughtful people ,

As Caleb pointed out many scientists have been inspired by their faith , reasoning that if there is intelligence behind the working of the universe then there are patterns to follow and laws to discover , which they did .

Jan

• DJS
    DJS

Terry is citing references used before on this site. These studies suggest correlations, sometimes strong correlations between theism and (lower) intelligence, for example, or a lack of belief in evolution/science and (lower) intelligence in this example.

The studies never suggest direct correlations (cause/effect), because there isn't a direct correlation. As such, they are accurate. Of course there are intelligent theists and bible believers. But the only thing required for Faith is Feelings, and religious people often suffer from the very worst confirmation bias, as their leaders dictate to them what they can read/consider. Just like the Catholic church did for centuries and the Dark Lords have for a century. Sound familiar? The leaders know that when people begin using their entire intellect, the bible and theism will suffer. There isn't much expansion of the brain cells when all you 'study' is confirmationally biased tripe and the primary fuel for your engine and how and when you make decisions is emotions (e.g., Fisherman).

It's like one of my old college profs said, a man with a doctorate in divinity, the only place belief in god is in short supply is a seminary. Caleb's culture is different, so much so that it is likely anomalous to studies such as these.

This isn't rocket science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit