The best weapon by far

by DJ 8 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

Hi guys,

For me, the hardest thing to do now is to continue to try to Not be a hypocrit. As a jw, I was better than everyone in the world because I was no part of the world simply by virtue of my dubdom. Now, it's been 7 years since I made my escape. My family, including my parents (my father is dying) and my brothers and sisters are all still jw's with the exception of one brother who is torn. They've all been rude to me and they've all shunned me and my husband and kids. They've used me for their own purposes and discarded me like a broken toy. Since July 2001 when my dad first was diagnosed with a brain tumor.....I've been a bit more accepted by them because I have been priveledged enough to be able to offer much assistance during this tumultuous year. I was initially shunned with regard to the blood policy when my husband had an accident and had 23 red cell transfusions, as some here already know. I had a hard time being in the room with them at first because I could actually feel their hate. I kept my mouth shut when they tried to get me to repent over the blood 'sin'. I bit my tongue when they bragged about who did what at the KH. You know what I mean.......... It has been a tough road. I have been able to break down a few barriers bit by bit with a loving word now and then. Often times it feels like I am back pedaling but I have my mind set on only giving them love. They give me lectures and advice and dirty looks and ignore my hand sometimes. I keep doing what I feel I can do to help with my father's care and my mother's pain. I try to help when my siblings are too busy with field service. I've even sat with my dad while my mom went to meetings! That was particularly difficult to do but she would have gone and left him alone anyway.

I'm sharing this with you because I'm trying to show you how I had to be true to myself. I felt that I was being a hypocrit and no better than before by allowing myself to continue to hate. I have found that the hardest thing for a jw to accept is a loving apostate. As hard as it is to be still and quiet when they get on their self-righteous soap box, it is equally hard for me to hate them back as much as they hate me because I too was once like they are now. If I can't forgive them and do what is right even if they don't appreciate it then what value do I have? It is the hardest part of being and X but it is the most fulfilling. I will not stoop again to their level. Love conquers and strenghtens me and I have seen their surprised faces at times. Hopefully someday, it will impact them and they may wonder how it's possible for an evil born again to have love when they 'are the loving ones'. I can only offer to them what i have been given freely, forgiveness and a loving spirit. It is something to see for sure, love confounds the hell out of them as one poster once said. So true. Has anyone else been through this with their family? I have found this to be the hardest part of being an X but it has been the most healing at the same time. love, dj

p.s. I still struggle with the issue of whether or not I can actually walk into a kh for my pop's funeral. I am not sure if I can love the 'teachers' of my family yet but I'm working on it. It may be an honor to sit in the back where the disfellowshipped have to sit. After all, isn't it really about how I view myself? Yes, regected and spit upon but not regressing. Your thoughts are appreciated.......

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

((((((((((((DJ)))))))))))

It's rough when so many in your family are active JW's. They are so self-righteous. They label "us" and try to make us feel unworthy and unloved by god. What right do they have to do this?

You need to be at your dad's funeral, because he is your father. I think this is something where you have to be very strong and do this for him and for yourself. They only have as much power over you as you allow them to have.

Your prescense may have an affect on them that you cannot know right now. It is not a bad thing. They cannot keep you from attending. Even if they stare and mumble, and treat you like you are unwelcome. You do belong--just as much, if not moreso, than they do. You can just sit and silently "speak" with your father, and ignore everything else.

If we play by their rules, then they dominate us. They continue to have control over us, and we need to show them, in our quiet, peaceful way, what love is really all about. You have been doing this all along, and I commend you for that. They should feel ashamed, but they don't.

My heart goes out to you, hon. This won't be easy, but I think in the end, you will satisfy a need inside you. If you don't go, regrets are difficult to live with.........

• LB
    LB

DJ I have not been through what you've been through but I sure appreciate your efforts to love the family regardless. Just remember, they've been brainwashed very effectivly.

It will be tough to attend your fathers memorial talk as you already know that it's more about the message than the man. But if you think you would gain or the family would gain by your attending, then of course attend.

But dad knows you love him. That's a good thing isn't it.

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

((((((DJ))))))

I have two 88 year old JW grandparents, I will definately go to the funeral talk when the time arives. I'll just put the brain in off mode as the religious views spew forth. I'm wondering if the Jan-March witch hunt will change me to DA?.......I'll go sit right in the front row with my family and be DAMNED if anyone tells me where I can or can't sit or anything for that matter.

It seems you're not DF or DA if they can benefit from you but after that they throw you out with the rest of the garbage. Hating someone who is loving and caring just because you don't share their beliefs may one day get them to do some thinking. Hang in there.

TT

• DJ
    DJ

Yes, my dad knows I love him and that is my consolation. I struggle with the KH because I really can't see any good coming from it at all. I am considering only going to the burial.....or do they speak there too? I have never attended a jw funeral so I don't know their protocol. There is only one thing that could be considered good if I do attend I guess, it would give no one any reason to speak bad of me. I don't want to be a poor example or a hypocrit but I just wonder if I can sit through it without freaking out. I'm just not sure if I sit there and stew in my anger when I hear them speak-- if it will do anyone any good. I don't even know if I just made any sense. I want to do the right thing but I don't want to go for the wrong reasons....should I wear earplugs? Oh man, I'm a mess. I am sure that I will not attend a 'get together' afterwards. that's just where my line is drawn for now.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I hate JW funerals. Even when I was active, I left instructions not to have one. For this very reason (and I've been to a few)... they say about 5 min worth about the "person" - born at so-and-so, loving parent, loved to garden and then 45-55 min on a resurrection talk. Sister Dearly Departed believed... and the speaker counts time.

The last JW funeral I went to was for a sister who had died with cancer. All her kids were "worldly" but one couple. A few of the attendees got up and left in disgust after they realized only 5 min. was going to be spent on her memory.

Frankly, weight out your family relationships and do whats comfortable for you. If you're not going to the "get together" after, why go to the KH? You can grieve and pay your respects personally for the loss. However, I haven't been in this situation... yet.

• DJ
    DJ

Tash,

I don't want to give my family a reason to hate me, that is one reason that I consider going. What is it like graveside? If I went only to the actual burial place, what should expect there? Do they conduct the burial and try to recruit there as well?

• Perry
    Perry

Hi DJ,

You are a stronger person than I am. For me, it is not about hate at all. I don't hate any of them. It is about pain. The pain of rejection, condesension, and smug self righteousness that brings back all the old memories of an narrow uneducated mind.... and all that goes with that.

I love my family. They will hurt me if I am around them, I know. I'm hoping to one day be able to deal with it better.

I truly admire the gift of patience and love that you have. Keep up the good work.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Perry,

You are sweet but I am not so strong. My pain turned into anger then into hate. That's when I was able to see that it was a cycle. Love did conquer my pain but it took time to go through that cycle. I don't know if it is that way for everyone though. You are right about the word 'gift'. Those qualities were never mine before. I am thankful for that gift. Take care Perry. Love, DJ

IS ANYONE GOING TO ANSWER MY QUESTION ABOUT THE BURIAL PART OF A JW FUNERAL??? please?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit