Why do JW's allow wedding rings?

by Gopher 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Excellent comments, Nathan and all. Thanks Blondie for finding the source info. Reading their logic just makes my head spin! Why don't they just say "the Bible is silent on the subject of wedding rings" and eliminate all the crap?

And -- Mr. Quotes, you are right -- the WT first makes the law, and then goes seeking scripture or other reasons to support their idea! That's just the opposite of true research and reasoning! Great point.

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

Here is a thread about the pagan origins of Weddings that I posted on www.beliefnet.org

I loved sharing this with my JW mother when she told me she would NEVER participate in anything that originated from Pagan traditions...I think it was at least a whole week before she mentioned the next JW wedding she was going to be helping her friend with.

• barry
    barry

Im an Adventist and traditionally Adventists dont wear wedding rings. Although they dont adhear to that rule much anymore ive heard they still do in the us. Of course they dont miss out on any other pagan things like christmas or birthdays. Barry

• jurs
    jurs

I didn't know about wedding rings being pagan until after I left the org and saw a post about it HERE. It certainly is hypocritical !!

jurs

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

dont forget the bridesmaids,wedding cake and veil.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Through the years, society in general has re-shaped many of the "old" views, such as the meaning to certain celebrations and the exchanging of rings, and other laws and restrictions that once were adhered to, but no longer apply in modern times. This is not because folks have moved away from "good". Things change.

Today, rings are exchanged as a "token of love and commitment". It is not in any way demeaning to the woman. In fact, most women look forward to wearing the engagement ring and the wedding ring, as it symbolizes that they have made a vow in marriage. JW women are no different in that respect.

The borg, however, continues to be steeped in very old ways, ways that were alive and kicking when Jesus walked the earth--and even before. Times change, and people change. Rules change. But, they are selective as to what they will accept and what you can be chastised for, possibly even being df'd for.

• minimus
    minimus

Boy, you guys and gals are so dumb! Don't you know that the Society owns a wedding band factory?

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Min,

They DO?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sentinel,

Thanks for your comments about women and the desire to have that rock on their fourth finger. I was just theorizing about WHY the Society allows that natural desire to be fulfilled, but outlaw others?? I still think they "allow" it because it helps keep things "orderly" or "in control" in their organization.

Minimus,

LOL! Now we know the REAL reason -- just follow the $$$$ !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit