If you "chose" this religion, as I did, do you remember the moment you "bought" the religion?

by Muddy Waters 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I hate to say it, but I got baptized mostly because of pressure from my JW study conductors and well-meaning people in the congregation. It was sort of like "well, what's preventing you from being baptized?"

I had a cigarette habit I had to kick first. I was starting to fit into the congregation and made a few friends. Even though I wasn't 100% convinced, I was made to feel I should get baptized anyway and I would be "blessed".  It was as though I needed to do this to join the club.

It wasn't a case where I could disprove anything they said, and I believed them when they said they had "no" clergy class and everybody was equal. My only fear was being obligated or tied down.

So, against my instincts, I succumbed to peer pressure and love-bombing and got baptized (for the second time in my life because I was baptized Catholic in infancy). It's a matter of opinion which of these baptisms is the real valid one. One was in infancy, the other was based on deception.

So, did I "buy" it? Not really. I just closed my eyes and jumped in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit