ESP Experiment

by rem 21 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

Whoa, for a second there you had me wondering about you, rem. I figured the drug might wear out by tomorrow, or something .

I've seen this trick before, and figured it out the first time.

• rem
    rem

Crownboy,

Yeah, I guess the at the end might have been a bit too subtle. I really hoped my fellow skeptics wouldn't have spoiled it as it could have been interesting to see what some people's ideas were. Maybe everyone can edit their responeses!

Kinda a lesson on how easy it is to be fooled and how unreliable our intuition can be.

rem

• shera
    shera

Oh yah I see....not so freaky after all...lol

• Robdar
    Robdar

My first page of cards was as follows: K of Hearts, J of Clubs, K of Spades, Q of Diamonds, Q of Clubs, J of Diamonds

My next page of cards: Q of Hearts, K of Clubs, J of Hearts, Queen of Spades, King of Diamonds.

This guy not only removes the card that you were looking at, he removes all of them and replaces with other cards. No ESP, Only memory games.

Love,

Robyn

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I'm scared.

• rem
    rem

Lesson of the day:

Sometimes it's not so fun to be a know-it-all.

rem

• Jeremy30
    Jeremy30

If those "explanations" are genuine for that particular experiment, and those folks can't remember 5 playing cards, I think I can safely assume:

!. There's a sucker born every minute.

2. It's really hard to find a good bridge partner.

• rem
    rem
    From Larry S.
    I viewed the source code and could not discover understandable mathematical computations which would aid the web page in making a decision. However, I did note that if the user does not look at the card layout (thus denying the "web site" the opportunity to follow the user's eye movement), and that if the user decides beforehand which card to choose, that the ESP program fails to determine the user's card selection.

Does the technology exist that would: (1) allow interaction between a server/program and a user to the extent that the server/program could scan the user's eye movement; (2) and, precise enough to detect pupil dilation resulting from concentration?

All of this thought and research went into his explanation and he still couldn't figure it out. LOL

This guy was on the right track and even lost sleep trying to figure it out:

From William:
    Yes, you picked the right card. I wonder how you did that. I shall spend many nights wondering this. I thought of 2 cards actually, and your program picked the one that I thought of first. By thinking of more than one card your program's odds of picking the correct one are greatly improved in my case. Maybe your program preys on peoples inability to make up their mind. Anyway I still don't know how you did it. Facinating.

This poor man seems pretty intelligent, but he never got it:

From Guy B.:
    I am quite impressed, Mr. Pickover. I am quite sure that the other explanations for why your little ESP program works are totally incorrect, however, I am at a total loss, especially since I did the best I could to generate random numbers. I couldn't find any dice handy, so I used the Time of Day clock on my computer, and found its remander when divided by 3 for the first number; took out the first business card that came to hand and took the first phone number on there modulo 6, and then located a calculator and had it generate a pseudo-random number which I then did modulo 6. I did the little experiment 3 times, and your program "got" it all times. And, no, I did not say the name of the card aloud or stare at it or anything like that; it has nothing to do with what side of the side of the screen I clicked on. As I said before, I am quite impressed. I do not at this point know how to download and disassemble Java code, unfortunately, or maybe I could figure out how you did it. (Assuming you wrote this in Java.)

Maybe if you don't get it in the first 30 seconds, you'll never get it?

rem

• Starman_Bert
    Starman_Bert

The only thing more bogus than that "ESP" experiment was the fabricated commentary which followed. There couldn't be that many stupid people on earth.

• rem
    rem

There couldn't be that many stupid people on earth.

The scary thing is that there really are!

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit