Why are there more sisters than brothers?

by expatbrit 26 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I think it could be that more women stay at home than men. I know for sure that if I had been busy working, I wouldn't have had the time or energy to put up with the self-righteous "sister" who studied with me. I was bored and figured "what the heck?" Plus she was fun to argue with. I never thought I would get sucked in the way I did for six years.

Maybe this has something to do with the way women are primarily the ones joining in Latin countries and the Spanish congregations in the US. They tend to be home more with their children rather than having careers. They probably get lonely and want someone to talk to and along come the JW ladies .... then before you know it, here come their husbands, parents, sisters, brothers, cousins, etc. etc.

• doubtingsister
    doubtingsister

That's my story, Blue. I was at home with two kids and even though I was always learning new things, I was bored. I would bombard my husband when he got home with questions and stories of my day just to have someone to talk to. I was easy pickings for the witness woman who came to my door. I had exposure as a child, but my parents dropped out due to drinking/emotional problems. So, anyway, I was convinced that it was the truth without a lot of arm bending.

Now, I've fulfilled some of my goals to be a published writer and to own my own business. The self confidence caused me to start wondering and doubting some of th e BS I've been hearing and worrying about. So, I believe your message is right on the money.

• Moxy
    Moxy

i agree. this didnt seem that hard to explain to me. women are easier to contact in house-to-house. in japan women stay at home far more than men due to the culture there and naturally the ratio is way higher there than north america, something like 4-to-1, 5-to-1 when i just counted roughly last time i was there.

mox

• mommy
    mommy

My mother was a stay at home mom too, when she was abducted. I know there was a time when I was at home with my small children, that I craved adult conversation. I even had the mormons come by and talk to me, just for entertainment
    Jan,
    I think that you really are talking more and more on this reincarnation thread then need be. You have expressed your opinion on the matter, it differs from our experiences.
    You really just sound like a guy who couldn't convince someone to change their views. Now you need to convince yourself and others it is our gullibility that we continue with our thoughts. Actually what it is, is we have different opinions. Yours is right for you and ours is right for us. Please stop with this kind of talk, it is really tiresome. Thanks in advance
    wendy

• Tina
    Tina

Wendy,
    Don't you have a choice NOT to read it then? Some of us enjoy the discussion of that issue........this isn't the first time I've seen where you tell posters to stop posting because you don't like it. That's rude,as was your reply to me,when I mentioned reading material.
    I expect you and others will jump on me now for stating what has been obvious,,, I've felt(with the exception of waiting,7,and a few others) that we weren't gonna be too welcomed here.I remember reading the posts about h20'ers you and others wrote before that old board went down,,,,,,,i sense a continuity of that attitude from your posts at times.......there are posts that hold little interest for me, I simply don't read them,can't you do the same?

• larc
    larc

Mommy,

Jan has not posted on the Reincarnation thread for four days. On the "Choose your parents" thread, he has not posted since Friday. Since his last post, there have been two pages of material added. Rem and myself posted some comments on those last two pages, and I only addressed RHW, Trevor, and one of Englishman's statements. None of them seemed to be offended by my comments. I think seeing Jan's post above got you worked up, even though what he wrote above had nothing to do with your complaint.

Just as you would like to protect people like Logical from people like MDS, some of us here would like to protect people from the unscrupulous that prey on other's misfortunes. It is not nice to steal from widows and orphans.

• JanH
    JanH

Wendy,

You really just sound like a guy who couldn't convince someone to change their views. Now you need to convince yourself and others it is our gullibility that we continue with our thoughts. Actually what it is, is we have different opinions.

I don't bother to convince anyone. I have posted my arguments, and particularly larc and rem has gone to great lengths explaning these issues, being much more patient than I am. Intelligent people have no problems seeing what arguments have merit. Further than that, I have little interest. I want information on critical thinking to be available to those who search for something to challenge their thinking skills and imagination.

You expressed in one message how proud you are that you haven't read any of those horrible science books, haven't learned anything and remain in blissful ignorance about how the world works. Well, fine for you, I guess, but thankfully for all of us there are people around who are actually a bit more curious about the world than you are, and try to learn more than what you get through cable television and tabloids.

You keep repeating that we have different "opinions" as if any opinion is as valid as any other. Well, that is truly dandy and tolerant and very post-modern, but it's also total hogwash. Those who use critical, rational methods of enquiry and carefully verifies their findings have an informed opinion. It stands up to test.
    Yours isn't, which anyone can easily see by reading what you write on that subject.

Those who build airplanes based on scientific ideas are actually able to make them fly. Those who use new age ideas about shakras and vibrations or higher dimensions or whatever you call it this week, they don't fly, except in their own heads.

As for those "reincarnation" threads, they are just a sad commentary on how militant ignorance works. I'm sure you're a nice and beautiful person and all that, and I have nothing against you, but I cannot but be personally saddened when people go through life allowing their thinking skills to remain in coma. But to each his own, I guess.

- Jan
    --
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen"
    -- Albert Einstein

• waiting
    waiting

hey moxy

Nice to meet you. Great cat picture. I had a big male, Tuxedo, who looked like that. Too damned lazy to chase a mouse if the mouse stood in front of him (which actually happened, btw.)

I know for sure that if I had been busy working, I wouldn't have had the time or energy to put up with the self-righteous "sister" who studied with me. I was bored and figured "what the heck?"

I worked full time with a small baby and had a study for 3 years. Finally made a committment.

hey Tina

Sorry to say, I haven't read the re-incarnation thread - just not interested. But you're absolutely right - if someone doesn't want to read something - don't click onto it. If interested, but don't care for a particular poster's comments (like Fred Hall) scroll on by.

As I've mentioned before (with no forthcoming comments), the H20 posters, imho, haven't changed this forum for better/worse more than the witnet posters who came here after it closed. In fact, seems the witnet persons tend to bicker more - but that would be *in general* and *not meaning to offend* any man/woman/child.

hey janH

You expressed in one message how proud you are that you haven't read any of those horrible science books, haven't learned anything and remain in blissful ignorance about how the world works.

That thought seems inaccurate as to my understanding of Wendy's background. I was under the impression that she had been a nurse, and she said she was also qualified as a rape counselor. Would seem that *schooling* would be necessary.

I just came from your thread with Armien - I've been enjoying the posts about evolution, etc. I've never read too much about it, and I enjoy your posts. Thank you.

I hope you continue as I sure could use the education. And I know a couple of other posters here like these types of threads (we gossip by e-mail.)

waiting

ps - however, you can bet your boots that I'll go check out the above mentioned threads now!

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

The books that Jan was referring to is in a list supplied by rem that demonstrate the lack of evidence for psychic phenomena. Also, James Randi's web site was posted, which shows that Mr. Randi is willing to pay one million dollars to anyone who can prove this ability when the chance for trickery us removed. Hodinni made a similiar offer in the 1920's and no one collected.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi again,
    The studies by Harlow,Shachter,SInger,I mentioned can be found in in any psych text that details some of the classic experiments in that field,,,,regards,Tina........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit