For those that've been out of the borg for 25+ yrs

by Jigrigger 16 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

One of you said "they couldn't change it enough to make you go back".

I agree. If I ever do go back, I want one of you to shoot me.

I promise I will not squeal on you to the cops.

Outoftheorg

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Change,? more of the same........?

I hate to be crude but in the spirit of farkel....

You can't polish a turd.

• mustang
    mustang

I'm pushing 30 years out, myself.

"Yes brother Farkel, it was a kinder, gentler religion back in those days."

Agreed, guys!!! From the sound of things, they are a meaner spirited group these days. That's typical of cornered rats.

"You can't polish a turd. "

Amen.

Jig mentioned several things in his 2nd comment; these things are ones that have noted reversals. (Compare the old tacking analogy crap.)

OK, the WTS is adrift without a rudder. The question is: how long before they get to the waterfall??

Mustang

• garybuss
    garybuss

I left in 1974. Every time the Society has a setback they get tougher on the JW's. In the 50's and 60'd we had bands at the assemblies. Late 60's or so the Society made a phonograph record and made us quit the bands. We had a piano at the Kingdom Hall and we had to quit using that and play their record.

We had to quit smoking so there went the smoke break between meetings.

When we had Company Servants and assistants it was a ritual driven business and tended to be predictable and mostly stagnant. Then we switched to the elder management system and then the rotating elder system and the company became ego driven and political. The elder political system provided the motivation and the environment for the current corruption.

Then they started shunning walkaways. Next they continued the conventions but they quit the food. Education has been discouraged by the Society all my life but now they are mounting campaigns to induce those who have managed to accumulate any possessions in spite of the Society's best advise, to gift their assets to the Society itself.

I have been aware of it all by my connections with relatives and others and the Corporation is much un friendlier now than it was in 1974.

I would hate to be a Witness now for sure. Just think of being aware that I might have to die in support of the current fragmented blood medical treatment guidelines. Or shun a cherished relative due to that relative not agreeing with the current viewpoint of the 1914 generation issue. Or defending the Society's viewpoint on alternative military service based on the last Watchtower article on the subject.

Elders using gestapo style tactics, relatives slamming doors and yelling, pedophiles and abusers openly embraced, Kingdom Halls with attached parsonages, obvious failures boldly denied, appeals for donations right in the magazines, all in the last 25 years.

gb

Edited by - garybuss on 24 October 2002 17:56:48

• sf
    sf

I was dissed fellow shippedout August '77.

It was, is and will KONtinue to be a...

Kriminally Korrupt Book Publishing Kompany until it's Walls fall down.

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of NEW YORK (BABYLON) is a fraud, a sham and an (outrage)ous lie...from start to finish.

Not to mention, child killers in every way possible....mind, body, spirit and soul.

HOW CAN YOU REFORM SUCH 'ROT'? SUCH ROTTEN MEN.

Gawd, the stench still lingers. It haunts me. 'That Smell' is Deadly.

Gen 1:1: ....and it STUNK to high heaven! Amen.

sKally<-----reform THIS! Is Bill great, or What??

• Buster
    Buster

Been out about 22 years.

I've watched and participated in some discussions at some other sites that made me wonder this precise question. It seems to me that the society has changed a bit - but not at its core. They still approach the bible with a 'jigsaw puzzle' (R. Franz) strategy, ignoring the big picture. The society still believes it is the arbiter of all descisions doctrinal, and that any dissention is unacceptable. They still have that 'we are an army for Jehovah' 'tude.

Changes: It does seem that they have mitigated their stance against education a bit. I read an earlier reply that reinforces that. I can't imagine they still can maintain their 'Armageddon any minute' watch now that they have defined a generation so loosely.

But most interstingly, I have noticed that many JW defenders are defending their religion by putting it in a context with other religions. Lots of - "But the Cathloics do this too," or "What about the Mormons?" As soon as that attitude gets more pervasive, more and more people will look around and wonder why they are in this mess if it is no better.

- Buster

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

all i can speak about is the congregation i was in. i stoped going in the mid eighties, went back in the late nineties, and have just recenlty quit. i think that the attitude in the cong i went to was a great deal more liberal than 20 years ago for sure. theres no way i would have been able to get away with the things i did in recent years, compared to 20 years ago. but then thats just the cong i went to, it may be different elsewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit