IMITATE JESUS REGIONAL CONVENTION - BRIGHTON IN WEST SUSSEX (UK)

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Imitate Jesus, Not the PhariseesBe Reasonable
    Young speaker (early to mid 30's) gave this item in Brighton.

Speaker cited Luke 12:1 - guard against the leven (yeast - NIV) of the Pharisees. Went on to cite Psalm 103:14 as an example of God's reasonableness in that he "remembers we are dust" and is thus merciful. Showed video portrayal of the haemorrhaging woman who touched Jesus' clothing. The application the speaker made is that Jesus ignored the woman was breaking the Mosaic law as she was "unclean". Jesus responded to her faith and affirmed her whereas the Pharisees would have been outraged.

The speaker then went on to cite Matthew 23:23 - "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was necessary to do, yet not to disregard the other things." The speaker then stated: "We want to stay away from their example", but rather focus on peoples' strengths. He concluded that Jesus' counsel was directed at those taking the lead and elders should be careful not to make rules such as "white shirts" only scenarios.

This young speaker seemed genuine enough. He has probably been on the receiving end of Pharisaical tendencies himself. If anything, what he was putting across was an understatement. Whilst it was nice to hear him focus on those "taking the lead" and thus gently alluding to their culpability, nevertheless there is a considerable conundrum implicit in the situation. The GB does not openly acknowledge that the behavioural profile of elders per se, is a significant contribution to many departing the organisation into inactivity / cessation. Yet here we have the most gentle tap on the wrist to those (many) elders who bully the sheep. At the same time, those (many) elders who are bullies become such because of the constant (and I would say nihilistic) influence of the GB and its branches.

For example if you actively or passively smoke, your health will eventually suffer. If you over use alcohol your health will eventually suffer. Similarly, if you constantly expose your mind to negative psychosocial influences, then you begin to absorb those influences and these become manifest in your behaviour, thinking, and how you relate to others. That is perhaps part of the reason why many in congregations see individuals change (for the worse) some time after they are apponted as elders. So the hope that a gentle talk such as this one can salvage the situation is without foundation. In all likelihood, many elders will continue to behave as did the temple police who served the Pharisees in the first century. After all, in this organisation, there is an absence of the candour which one discerns in the Bible. The sole coping strategy tends to that of denial and scape goating. No acknowledgement of wrong. No reaching out to to the sheep to see who things could be improved. No listening. No, behaviour is in the manner of Pharoah - "So let it be written! So let it be done! Thus, things will continue to deteriorate. There will likely continue to be more rules made and not less; more temple police and fewer shepherds. There will also be more who continue to depart this organisation too!
    Attendance announced as 9,058. Many many unoccupied seats.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Do you know his name? PM me if you do.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Great summary. Do you know how many where baptized?
  • Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    I think the number given was 32 - not many. But I'm sure the British branch will put the best gloss on the numbers when the convention season is over.
  • Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    I think it was 32. That's not many, but the British branch will put the best possible gloss on the numbers at the close of the convention season.
  • St George of England
    St George of England

Do you know his name? PM me if you do.

I will check Sis England's notes when I get the chance!

George

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The Elders follow the example of those "taking" the lead. This is a crisis of legalism, decades in the making. One cute little RC, where Jesus Van Der Beek is finally shown on film after 100 years, won't make a difference.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit