article: Music Industry spins falsehood

by MegaDude 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Music industry spins falsehood

By Janis Ian

The recording industry says downloading music from the Internet is ruining our business, destroying sales and costing artists such as me money.

Costing me money?

I don't pretend to be an expert on intellectual property law, but I do know one thing: If a record executive says he will make me more money, I'd immediately protect my wallet.

Still, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is now in federal court trying to gain new powers to personally target Internet users in lawsuits for trading music files online. In a motion filed with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the RIAA is demanding that an Internet service provider, Verizon, turn over the name and contact information of one of its Internet subscribers who, the RIAA claims, might have unauthorized copies of songs on a home computer.

Attacking your own customers because they want to learn more about your products is a bizarre business strategy, one the music industry cannot afford to continue. Yet the RIAA effectively destroyed Napster on such grounds, and now it is using the same crazy logic to take on Internet service providers and even privacy rights.

The RIAA's claim that the industry and artists are hurt by free downloading is nonsense. Consider my experience: I'm a recording artist who has sold multiple platinum records since the 1960s. My site, janisian.com, began offering free downloads in July. About a thousand people per day have downloaded my music, most of them people who had never heard of me and never bought my CDs.

Welcome to 'Acousticville'

On the first day I posted downloadable music, my merchandise sales tripled, and they have stayed that way ever since. I'm not about to become a zillionaire as a result, but I am making more money. At a time when radio playlists are tighter and any kind of exposure is hard to come by, 365,000 copies of my work now will be heard. Even if only 3% of those people come to concerts or buy my CDs, I've gained about 10,000 new fans this year.

That's how artists become successful: exposure. Without exposure, no one comes to shows, and no one buys CDs. After 37 years as a recording artist, when people write to tell me that they came to my concert because they downloaded a song and got curious, I am thrilled.

Who's really hurt by free downloads? The executives at major labels who twiddled their thumbs for years while company after company begged them to set up ''micropayment'' protocols and to license material for Internet-download sales.

Listen up

Many artists now benefit greatly from the free-download systems the RIAA seeks to destroy. These musicians, especially those without a major-label contract, can reach millions of new listeners with a downloadable song, enticing music fans to buy a CD or come to a concert of an artist they would have otherwise missed.

The RIAA and the entrenched music industry argue that free downloads are threats. The music industry had exactly the same response to the advent of reel-to-reel home tape recorders, cassettes, DATs, minidiscs, VCRs, music videos, MTV and a host of other products and services.

I am not advocating indiscriminate downloading without the artist's permission. Copyright protection is vital. But I do object to the industry spin that it is doing all this to protect artists. It is not protecting us; it is protecting itself.

I hope the court rejects the efforts of the music industry to assault the Internet and the music fans who use it. Speaking as an artist, I want us to work together -- industry leaders, musicians, songwriters and consumers -- to make technology work for all of us.

Janis Ian's popular-music credits include 17 major-label albums, nine Grammy nominations and 37 years of experience in the music industry.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Mega:

Thanks for posting this!!!!!

Many artists now benefit greatly from the free-download systems the RIAA seeks to destroy. These musicians, especially those without a major-label contract, can reach millions of new listeners with a downloadable song, enticing music fans to buy a CD or come to a concert of an artist they would have otherwise missed.

This is so very true. I have spent money on cds by artists I would never have heard if it weren't for downloading and internet sharing. And I've shared music with others they had never heard before and they spent money on it. And on and on it goes.

Great article! Nice to hear this from a recording artist!!

XW

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

It's about time.

Downloading music has opened up whole new musical tastes for me. If I like an artist, I buy their cd's. I've heard of scores of new groups that will never be played on the radio this way. There is so much good music out there that will only be heard on the internet.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Dude

Great article. And what you say is so true. I've done the same thing. And I think that's the biggest complaint I've got against radio (particularly here in Dallas). Everything is the same. There is so little variety. Like 92.5 plays the same 300 songs over and over. Same with 98.7. I think a pretty good argument can be made that the reason Kazaa and other download sites are popular is that is a reaction to the sameness on the radio nowadays.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good point about the radio, boys. Why should a radio station dictate peoples' tastes? One minute i might be listening to new stuff, then 40 yr old stuff, the next 400 yr old stuff (hildegard of bingen). Musical freedom, i say. Then there is the obnoxious dj issue

SS

• Gopher
    Gopher

Great article, thanks for the post. Janis Ian makes some great points.

Why can't an artist choose to give free samples? If you go to a bakery or a perfume counter, free samples help you know what new things you might like to buy!

The RIAA needs to be reigned in on this issue.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

It makes interesting reading indeed.

I think the downloading of music can affect the smaller artist and studio more than the big corporate guys (the Sonys of this world etc) - to cut into their profit margins takes quite an effort.

The established acts have made their mint and will be ok. The idependants are likely to have more issues with the plague of downloading, and IT IS a plague. Afterall, to establish yourself as an artist and start earning enough to support yourself financially takes time and MONEY. A lot of new acts struggle in this area initially and if what they do produce of worth is leached over the Internet, then obviously, thats money down the drain. The independants do not generally have the budget to support an artist if the artist fails to produce the dollar.

I am no purest and do download the odd tune myself. In the past it has prompted me to go out and seek more music from that particular artist, but also, I have full albums that I enjoy and have no intention of paying for. I'm sure many of you have done the same.

I believe another issue is the sheer amount of music that is available. No man can afford to buy everything, but may want to listen to most things. So piracy becomes prevalent due to economic factors as well and this could be addressed by the music industry if they put out work at a modest price, so as not to exclude large proportions of the population. But hey, thats going to steal the fat cigar from the business mans mouth and he may not like it! So then, greed needs to be addressed at the top end down.

Also, artists need to take stock of themselves as well and have a realistic vision of their worth. Stop placing unrealistic demands upon the labels and live within a more modest budget. This I aim at the top end - the Witney Houstons & the like.

Its a complex issue - to be sure, but boils down to the human condition of "want more, want it now, give it to me in large quantities!!! and preferably, give it to me free.....".

... and by the way - our own policy to help promote our music is to give away certain tunes freely ... hopefully to gain repect !

/Simon

http://aliendread.reggaeretro.co.uk

• Satanus
    Satanus

Peer to peer sharing may take the direction where it destroys the middlemen. Let's face it, the middlemen are making the most of the money. That's why they are screaming. So, after the revolution, we may be buying music directly from the musicians, over the internet, paying for individual songs. Music will be cheaper. Musicians will still make money. There will probably be a lot more variety. That means creativity will flourish.

SS

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Good point about the radio, boys. Why should a radio station dictate peoples' tastes? One minute i might be listening to new stuff, then 40 yr old stuff, the next 400 yr old stuff (hildegard of bingen). Musical freedom, i say. Then there is the obnoxious dj issue

Ever since the invasion of the radio consultant, all radio stations are starting to sound alike. Even English radio stations are starting to sound as if they have the same radio consultants that the US has. These consultants bring in people for focus groups and ask them questions about what they like about the artists, music and the particular radio station that is conducting the survey.

The information that they gather is then considered to be the law as to what other listeners want to hear The problem with the focus groups is that they are all comprised of boring people who do not like to listen to new or non-familiar music. Since radio stations want to target an audience as opposed to appealing to everybody and having their format "all over the road", the program directors listen to the focus groups and to the consultants. The sad thing is that the boring music you hear on the radio these days brings in good numbers in the ratings medium...MJM, Arbitron, etc.

Whereas you may not like it, the bottom line is money. Most people who do not like the radio formatting do not listen to the radio much. Therefore, their opinions do not count.

Radio is not the same since the invasion of the consultants. It is one of the reasons I no longer enjoy working in radio.

Then there is the obnoxious dj issue

Well, radio personalities cant win. If we are given too much freedom in what we say we are considered obnoxious. If we are only allowed to read what the liners say, then we are boring.....another reason that I no longer care to work in radio.

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 24 October 2002 5:3:50

• SYN
    SYN

BIG BUSINESS ALWAYS WINS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit