Who oversees the money for the WT?

by John Aquila 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Etude
    Etude
    Juan Viejo2 Thanks for the explanation. It was very thorough. Before your explanation, I had suspected the WTBTS benefited somehow from the KH. One reason is that I had never heard of elders being in charge or receiving anything after the closure of KH. Also, I had realized how cunning the organization was with its arrangement. Of course at the time, I thought this was the way Jehovah wanted it and it protected the organization. But after realizing how much dough they were rolling in, while "expanding" everywhere (in the 1970s), I figured it didn't all come from change out of the pockets of the lowly publishers. I'm sure there were some rich benefactors. But in between those and the average publisher, there was a scheme.

I remember thinking about how (in my day) we would have to pay for literature for the field at the congregation. We then had to ask for a "donation" from the public to cover for the paper and ink. I honestly don't remember but, since we paid up-front, whatever we received as a "donation" went to cover what we had been charged in advance. Many years later (I was very much out by then) I heard about their scuttle with the IRS. I think it was my mom who told me that publishers would no longer have to pay for literature at the congregation. The penalty was the organization losing their tax-exempt status.

But what got me thinking initially was that it was original contributions (personal and from the collection box) that paid for the paper and ink and everything else. Why was the society then requiring the congregations to in essence "buy" the literature from them? I don't know if it's possible to calculate how much money those bastards made from that scheme. However, I imagine that it is comparable to the monies they've made from the sale of KHs.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr
    I wonder how long it will be before the GB create their own bank and have all faithful jw's transfer all their accounts to it for future plundering?
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Seems to me the WT really likes getting rid of older ones by way of deliberately-introduced inconvenience. Such as when the whole cong is merged and they have to travel farther - "Oh well Sister, Jehovah understands if you can't attend that far from your home. If you can't get a ride, Jehovah will understand if you just stay home and call in." "Jehovah understands if you can't attend the convention. He knows your heart."

Marina

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • blondie
    blondie

Etude the IRS has specific detailed rules what the parent non-profit can do.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit