Scholar Touts Oldest Link to Jesus

by Double Edge 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Wasn't sure if this was posted earlier... I found it interesting:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021021/ap_on_re_us/jesus_inscription_6

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Yes! This is exciting! It shows that there is perhaps a 1 in 20 chance that Jesus actually existed!

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze
    " Since Eisenman is highly skeptical about New Testament history, he considers the new discovery "just too pat. It's just too perfect."

I'm skeptical too, but this guy just slammed his mind shut. Typical.

Anton

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

It seems ironic to me that there could have been a Christianity without a Christ.

• rem
    rem

It seems ironic to me that there could be Mormonism without the Angel Moroni.

rem

Edited by - rem on 21 October 2002 22:9:48

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I had no idea that Jesus was such a common name back then. That is like creating a Messiah figure now named Joe. A ton of Joe's around so you cannot disprove he existed. Paul seems to be smarter than I gave him credit. While this is an interesting curiosity I don't find to be that important one way or the other. It still does not prove anything divine or that any miracles of any kind ever took place.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jesus was a very common jewish name in the first century, and at different times before that, in some areas.

SS

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

That's not my brother's casket. That was the other family with the same names. You think its confusing for you all try when we would end up trying to get a table at the same resteraunt. Sheer madness I tell you!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Rem,

But there was a Joseph Smith.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Kenneson, but there was a Paul of Tarsus.

Personally, I'm not a "Jesus myther" so this may very well be related to the bible characters, though I'll wait this one out a little for further studies.

And as gsx1138 points out, this doesn't confirm that the dead guy's brother walked on water.

Edited by - crownboy on 21 October 2002 23:8:15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit