Sam Herd’s comment on the 2001 Dateline expose

by Londo111 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Londo111
    Londo111

I’m going by memory, so not an exact quote…I believe this was around 2002, at the Crownsville Assembly Hall (now sold from what I understand).

He said basically: Some people watch an hour show and give up the faith that they’ve had for decades.

The impact of this show was like a canon being shot into a swimming pool. I’d wish I’d woken up back then, but I was sound asleep. I dismissed it all as “apostate lies”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywY4mKoubws

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I had been inactive for a decade as a walk-away believer, but the story rang so true to me even then. A very important component that led to me becoming more 'Awake' to the workings of the organization.

Thank you for re-posting the video.

-Aude.

PS: Funny how the word 'organization' now makes me bristle when used in conjunction in a spiritual connotation. The JWs have many of the right words for how they run their Business. Somehow, we were all programmed to see those (secular) business words as special, favored religious concepts.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    no londo, crownsville is alive and kickin! They rebuilt it about 7 years ago. Its really very nice, for a cult building
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    I stand corrected. For some reason I thought it was a theater now. My grandfather helped Crownsville way back when.
  • AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Londo111, we had to start somewhere and Dateline was the beginning. Of course many did not leave the org. because of Dateline, but thousands did. A prominent staff member in the Service Department told my son (who had been a Bethelite for over 16 years), a week after Dateline aired that thousands left the organization because of what they heard on Dateline and will die at Armageddon because of me. Maybe you didn't exit the religion then, but you eventually did and that's what's important. For many, the info on Dateline was enough, but for others, it was something else that woke them up.

Men and women, media people, have our gratitude because they listened carefully to the victims of child abuse, checked the facts, and brought it to the attention of the public in many radio, TV programs and print articles with more to come.

The latest BBC radio program will have a world-wide impact upon the JW organization with more and more JWs fleeing from a religion that has lied itself into a corner without a way to escape with its reputation intact. As the message gets out to more and more people about JW leaders hiding criminals such as JW pedophiles among honest devotees, what an embarrassment or worse it will be for those who continue loyal, to call themselves JWs.

In my opinion, if I was still a JW and standing next to one of those carts, it would be torture knowing that I must look to passerby's as loco in the head for being a JW. In our world today it does matter to people - even JWs - what others think of them, that's why JWs work so hard to put on a good front - cars clean, dress well, speak well - so the world will listen to them. Mark my words, JWs (except the crazies) in this modern world will exit this shameful religion because of their shame coming from being a part of it.

Barbara

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

what an embarrassment or worse it will be for those who continue loyal, to call themselves JWs.

In my opinion, if I was still a JW and standing next to one of those carts, it would be torture knowing that I must look to passerby's as loco in the head for being a JW. In our world today it does matter to people - even JWs - what others think of them, that's why JWs work so hard to put on a good front - cars clean, dress well, speak well - so the world will listen to them. Mark my words, JWs (except the crazies) in this modern world will exit this shameful religion because of their shame coming from being a part of it.

Barbara

That’s true Barbara, if I didn’t know TTATT, and with everything that is happening to the WT in the past two years, I would walk away just out of embarrassment.

I know a couple of young JW girls that just walked away, not because they figured out it was a scam but because they were just to embarrassed to be associated with the WT and all the bad publicity.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Thanks John Aquila for the validation (relating the experience of the two young JW girls) of my opinion.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Most JW's don't even watch the news or go in the Internet except for entertainment. These people have the heads so far up thier asses it's not funny
  • Bill Covert
    Bill Covert
    Londo Thanks for posting the video, that is my first time viewing it.
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2
    Oh Barbara.....there you go killing by the thousands! Good grief....what a thing to say to a womans son. No shame indeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit