King Solomon

by Cicatrix 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Okay, maybe I'm ignorant, but I can't stop thinking about this.

It's recorded in the Bible that Jehovah gave Solomon great wisdom. So why did he eventually turn away from Jehovah and start serving the gods of his foreign born wives?It would seem to me that that increased wisdom from Jehovah would make him more likely to continue to serve Jehovah faithfully.

This also brings to mind the account of Adam and Eve and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

I considered this from the angle that Solomon used his free will and chose to oppose Jehovah. But is free will really "free" if you are punished with death for disobeying the creator???

Input-I need input. This is the closest I can tiptoe to the subject of religion right now.

Thanks,

Cicatrix

• lulu
    lulu

Jehovah can do whatever he likes, when he likes and to whom . Soloman knew exactly what he was doing. The choice is yours, we are not puppets.

• Smitty
    Smitty

Hi. One can have great wisdom and not act wisely. It's like a child knowing better, but does it anyway. That's why the proverb tells us to gaurd our heart for out of it are the sources of life. Prov. 4:22-24

Smitty

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Solomon was a ho, and there is no indication that he was the wisest man on earth.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

LOL @ Six!!! I was thinking it when all of I sudden saw you wrote it.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Thanks, Lulu, for your insight on Solomon. But that doesnt' really answer my question on free will by saying that Jehovah can do whatever he likes.According to the JW interpretation, all of creation is participating in a huge court case in which Jehovah is trying to make the point that there will be persons who will serve him, no matter what the consequences to themselves.How is that free will if he dictates that if we serve him, we will be rewarded with everlasting life, but if we do not, we will die a horrible death at Armageddon? What real choice does that really give? And why did Solomon choose not to serve him, if he had more insight into things--was his wisdom purely secular?That would be conjecture to state that, because it doesn't specify in the Bible.

If Jehovah is the personification of love, why would he "do whatever he likes, when he likes, and to whom?"Afterall, according to 1 Corinthians, love is kind and seeks the interest of the other.

It's not my choice to die at Armageddon. So if I go along with what I'm told by Witnesses or any other Christian group that their interpretation of the Bible is THE only one to follow, and if I push my questions out of mind so as to not challenge Jehovah (or is it an organization of imperfect human beings that I am actually questioning?), does that make me an obedient servant or a puppet who just doesn't want to die?I mean if I were to genuinely push all of my doubts out of my mind and not think about them at all?Facts like the fact that my child who was raised in the Witness religion could not get baptised by a JW simply because she only put in seven hours of field service every month instead of ten,or that my son-in-law is destined to die at Armageddon according to the Watchtower because he is not a baptised, (blood) card carrying Jehovah's Witness or a member of his parent's nonWitness religion either(even though he is the most decent, caring young man I have met in a long time.Poor guy, everyone tells him he is going to die and/or burn in hell forever)?Or the fact that I got tired of the "What did you do to deserve it?" mentality I was "comforted" with by the elders when my nonbelieving husband physically abused me a few years ago.

And I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing.Except escaping from a whole lot of pain and a rigid paradigm that told me I would never hit the mark, no matter how hard I tried.I feel no malice toward Jehovah.I just have honest questions. So Lulu, does that constitute making a choice in your opinion?

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Smitty--good point.

Lol Six and Blue.

Sometimes I take my life to seriously.But this is my first rather awkward attempt to ask the questions I always had and was afraid to utter.Sometimes the only way to get past it is to wade through it, I guess.This REAL thinking stuff is harder than it looks:)

Thanks Guys,

Cicatrix

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wt says wisdom is the aplication of knowledge, it's supposed to be better than knowledge. Being a jahoover worshipper, marying a whole bunch of pagans, as well as getting it on w as many pagans as he could was about the dumbest thing he could do. Like there wasn't enough hoover jewesses to fill his harem? Solomon also laid terrible taxes on his subjects. His oppression was the cause of the israeli split. Nah, he wsn't smart. He was a corrupt hedonist.

The jews who wrote that story, or imbellished it needed an ideal ruler to look up to. There are also some indications that solomon's empire wasn't an empire at all. But the latter jews needed a past glory image to make them feel like their nation was more than it was. An archeological book called 'the bible unearthed' by israel finkelstein cuts solomon's empire down to a much smaller size.

SS

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Thanks St Satan,

I've never heard that angle before. I'm going to write down the title of the book you mentioned, and I'll look for it after I finish the title that Farkel recommended on science a few months back.

I want to approach this from every angle.This question has bugged me since childhood.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Cicatrix,

: This also brings to mind the account of Adam and Eve and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Here's something to think about.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit