Is it possible to become a Jehovah's Witness by reading the Bible alone?

by agent2863 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• agent2863
    agent2863

"Don't you think it would surely be impossible for a person to become a Jehovah's Witness by reading the Bible alone? Can someone really come to believe Jehovah's Witness doctrine by reading the Bible only? For example, if you were to have only read the Bible, with no Watchtower study aids, do you think that you would have come to the conclusion that heaven closed its doors in 1935, or that Jesus is really the Archangel Micheal?"

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

agent2863,

I think it would be almost impossible to become a follower of just about any denomination by reading the Bible alone. But then again, there are a lot of stupid, ignorant people out there.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey agent,

Welcome here! Where did you get that quote?

Can someone really come to believe Jehovah's Witness doctrine by reading the Bible only?

Lord, I hope not! The Bible reading person may become enlightened, confused, agnostic, atheistic, or a christian - but most definitely - not one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

Look forward to conversing more with you.

waiting

• agent2863
    agent2863

Hi Scorpion, Your right, to a point. I think all of us need help at times to understand the scriptures, but the Bible alone needs to be our source. The W.T. insists that you must use their magazines & studies to understand what you're reading. My point was & is that there is no way you would come up with the claims they make by using just the Bible. That's why they discourage you from doing so. They know that.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Hello agent2863,

I understood your point and agree with you. As far as the Wt discouraging you from using your Bible, I do not think that is the case as much as it is they want you busy reading their publications and comparing the Watchtower distortions with the Bible. I was always able to question the Bible without to many eyebrows raised. When it came to questioning and disagreeing with the WT and the present truth at that time, it became a major no no among the elders and especially letting others in the congregation know what you did not agree with.

• agent2863
    agent2863

cool.

• patio34
    patio34

Welcome Agent,

My experience with reading Bible was interesting. The last 5 years I was a jw, I read the Bible straight thru, and the last year I used 4 or 5 translations most of the time. The thing I noticed that it was more and more difficult to keep up with WTS literature. Probably because of the time spent in Bible reading, but I didn't have as much interest in the mags as when not reading the Bible.

Go figure--but here's a possibility: the mags were too fragmented in the use of the Bible and I liked the continuity of Bible reading straight thru.

So, to answer the question: it seems as though reading the Bible actually distanced me from the org and it wouldn't be the natural outcome to become a jw from reading the Bible.

However! Now I'm devoting time to reading about evolution, history not written by WTS, and the like. And this forum!

Patio

• agent2863
    agent2863

Hi Patio34. Hav'n a good day I hope. I imagine you've noticed quite a bit of difference between the New(mind)World(control)Tanslation and other translations. If you're looking into evolution related reading check out stuff by Ron Carlson. He's got some good stuff on that. See ya!

• Seven
    Seven

Patio, At your leisure cruise the following sites:
    * http://www.talkorigins.org Simon provided this link last year. It's a good one concerning evolution.
    * http://www.bibles.net Very good Bible reference materail here, ancient writings, etc. All translations.

Seven

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

if you READ the bible I dont see how you could becomea witness at all.......
    when I started reading more than the 6% the WTBTS uses is when the light in me got brighter
    S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit