Amityville Horrors

Halloween Movies

Silent of the Lambs

Hannibal Lector

The Bone Collector

Saturday Night Fever

• Preston
    Preston

The top ten when I was a witness... Have no idea why "Shoes of the fisherman" was looked down upon Englishman.

1.) Schindler's List - The number one movie was also the most watched "R-rated" film by the witnesses in my congregation. Our presiding overseer took offense to any earnest witness that didn't take excpetion to watching this movie, even if they did so strictly for its historical aspects...

2.) Ghostbusters - More funny "one-liners" than you can shake a stick at. Still, those spiritistic elements were pretty offensive to some, no matter how funny they were presented.

3.) Showgirls - This was the movie that a lot of witneses in my congregation loved to use in order to demonstrate "the low sink of debauchery" Hollywood had become. Our local newspaper gave it 4 stars which only feuled their criticisms.

4.) Titanic - If you are going to watch Titanic brothers, keep your eyes on the sinking ship with all the people dying, and avert your eyes to the nudity.

5.) Star Wars - The few that took a good hard look at Star Wars were also the biggest protestors of a film that appeared to combine demonism with science fiction. Either that or all the phallic imagery...

• cellomould
    cellomould

thanks all for the replies; E-man, I also love the word 'verboten'

cellmould

• cellomould
    cellomould

By the way, in my teenage years, I let it slip to someone in my old congregation that I had seen the movie Four Rooms. You better believe she looked it up in the paper and told my mother what she had found.

But I never could lie about stuff like that.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Regarding the movie, Titanic.

I went with a group of JW's to watch Titanic. Most of them got up and walked out during the love making scene. Of course there was a local needs talk a couple of weeks later about those of us who stayed and enjoyed the entire movie.

4.) Titanic - If you are going to watch Titanic brothers, keep your eyes on the sinking ship with all the people dying, and avert your eyes to the nudity.

I think the PRIMARY reason this movie should be avoided by EVERYONE is the absolutely inane dialog and ridiculous love story.

Many of my female relatives and friends LOVED this movie. Some seeing it several times in the movie theater. Of course, I had to check out what the big deal was all about. I was impressed with the special effects. But that love story! Bah! And why does the rich guy always have to be the jerk??? If the dude had given me a diamond necklace like that, well, I would only have these words in response "Honey! I'm yours"! Oh, did I ever have fun teasing my friends about "Poor Rose".

Sex scene? What sex scene? Some sweat and a hand print! Big deal! Take the sex scene in Monsters Ball. Now THERE'S a sex scene to walk out on! Not me, though. I was all eyes!

Yeah, wouldn't want to see a naked pair of breasts. How completely corrupting! Concentrate on the people desperately clinging for their lives only to plunged to their deaths into the dark, freezing ocean.

Thus, this concludes my little rant.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Andee

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

When I was growing up it was forbidden to see Indiana Jones and the temple of doom because of the priest cutting the guys heart out! The circuit overseer even mentioned it from the platform lol.

between

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Lest we forget....Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone. As well as The Life of Brian. However, for some reason the Lord of the Rings was NOT forbidden. Don't understand that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit