Events leading to Great Tribulation

by proplog2 45 Replies latest jw friends

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

proplog,

your post reminds me of this:

http://www.rumormillnews.net/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=15853

Here it is almost a full year later and still nothing has happened. Not to say this couldn't happen - who knows how much of it is true - I did a little research and verified that a few scientists have indeed been killed and/or are "missing" but who knows why.

There are so many beliefs, predictions, prophecies, etc....the media distorts everything we deem as "fact" that there's just no telling what the real "truth" is or what's in store for us. I definitely believe something like what you've said could be the case, however I wouldn't put my life on every word of it coming true. It's just another angle to look at the whole situation.

I'm quite convinced there will be another attack on America very soon. So much so I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to move to Canada. We'll see what happens.

Peace,

jay

• proplog2
    proplog2

J.Christ

I haven't answered you because I don't quite get your question.

I think the number of people who have thought about a subject and made predictions is irrelevant to someone finally getting it right.

One of the problems is correlating current events with Biblical forecasts.

I have given prophecy a lot of thought and have developed a procedure for interpreting prophecy.

1. If the Bible speaks in more than one place about something we assume there is agreement. Harmony is the key that unlocks the door to understanding the Bible. It is basically a scientific or rational approach except that the subject is "revealed" information rather than information drawn from the so-called natural world. In the case of interpreting prophetic scriptures we can start by assuming that if a pair of events is similar in their descriptive wording and dramatic roles, similar in action, similar in sequence and similar in results, we should probably think of the events as the same event.

2. Parsimony is another useful concept used in science and applicable to understanding the Bible. Stick to the explanation that is simplest. If an explanation is too involved and abstract it is more likely to be in error. .

3. Two simple questions also help in analyzing conclusions. How do you know that this [assertion,statement] is true or factual ? The other question is Does this particular conclusion follow necessarily from the presented facts.

4. Finally, is the event that is supposed to fullfill prophecy significant? That is, would an ordinary observant person make the connection?

When these rules are followed you get results that differ from the Watchtower interpretations.

• Quotes
    Quotes

proplog said:

One of the problems is correlating current events with Biblical forecasts....Parsimony is another useful concept used in science and applicable to understanding the Bible.

OK, here is a parsimonious, K.I.S.S. style explanation for you: The bible is a huge, hodge-podge collection of "oral tradition" stories which were finally written down (after man figured out how to write), in various diverse places, by many different people -- human people. Tribal oral traditions, passed down, generation to generation, then finally people start having the ability to write them down.

It didn't become the thing we now call "bible" until hundreds -- no, thousands -- of years later.

If, by way of modern day example, you collected all of the World War II movies together, and spliced them together, what you would end up with is a really long, boring movie which is not even historically accurate because it was based hollywood stories, not strict historical records. Long, boring, inaccurate, and virtually pointless (unless you like WWII movies ).

If anyone tried to suggest that such a work not only was historically accurate/significant, but that it made predictions that came true later in the movie, most people would not be impressed by that claim. For example, at one point, the actor in one of the movies in the collage, playing an American, says "We're going to win this war" and 90 minutes later, maybe in another movie that is part of the collage, lo and behold, his prediction was correct -- American wins WWII").

Seeing amazing predicitive abilities in this scenario would be ridiculous. But to then suggest that this crazy collage movie predicted stuff that is going to happen in the future -- our future, i.e. 2002, would probably land you in a mental hospital.

Same thing as the bible, except that the media is different: the bible was written, films are films. Different medium, same message -- a hodge-podge collection of stories.

I've got to hand it to you proplog, you have gone out on a limb and set a date: Dec 20, 2002. Most people finding "predictions" in the bible only find the prediction after the even has happend (which means it isn't really a prediction, but rather is a classic case of fallacioius post hoc reasoning.) When nothing of significance in history happens on that date, will you be humbled by making an ass out of yourself? No, probably not. I think it was Carl Sagan who said something about how amazing it is that after people make "bible based" predictions that don't come to pass, they don't dissappear. Rather they come up with some way to wriggle out of the embarrasement and save face.

Here are some wriggle points you can start working on now, so you will be ready with them come Dec 20, 2002, when no nukes have exploded:

(1) You were right about the prediction, but wrong about the year. It is Dec 20, 2003 (or 2010 or 2020.. etc.)

(2) As a result of all the praying from the penitent ones, God decided to spare us (which, although merciful, makes one ask whatever happened to letting your yes mean yes and your no mean no and your Dec 20 2002 mean Dec 20 2002.)

(3) Satan is working to spoil God's plans (which makes one wonder just how lame this god is, how could any other creature spoil his plans, and if god is all-seeing, shouldn't he have known and predicted that the plan would be spoiled, and predicted that too?)

(4) (This one is lifted from the Wathctower playbook) You were right about the prediction and the date, you just didn't understand that it was a virtual/invisible/holy/figurative nuke that exploded, not a literal one. Yes, yes, hidden from human eyes. Look, the proof is all so clear, you can see perfectly now how it was an invisible fulfillment, not a literal one. Yup, that's it! You were totally correct in your prediction, and the fact there is no proof prooves that it happened invisibly.

You can come up with your own in addition to these, false prophets always manage to save face, at least in their own eyes and the eyes of their followers. Hey, how knows, maybe you can be the start of a whole new religious cult!

~Quotes.

Edited to add: OK, I wasn't as parsimonious as I intended to be with that

Edited by - Quotes on 27 October 2002 4:3:59

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

proplog,

Sounds like you're advocating replacing one cult (the Dubs) with yet another one (that follows your interpretations).

I don't think many will buy it. Then again, they believed old Joe Ratherflawed.....

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 27 October 2002 6:51:44

• neyank
    neyank

Bach2dafront said,
    "I'm quite convinced there will be another attack on America very soon"

That is very possible.
    As far as building nukes here on our soil?
    Sure. It can happen.
    Isn't Russia missing some suitcase nukes?
    I don't know how much damage those can do, but I'm sure they can make quite a bang.

We cannot say that these things won't happen.
    I'm sure if anyone asked us before 9/11, if we thought someone could fly planes full of people into buildings we would have said no way.
    That it could not happen here.
    Well,It did.

But these things don't mean that Armageddon is here.
    And it certainly doesn't mean that the WTS is right.
    The WTS has already proven itself to be a false prophet.

Besides, isn't there supposed to be other things that have to happen before the big A arives?

neyank

• Quotes
    Quotes

Tick... tick... tick... tick....

Just reading my "humble pie" recipe, getting the ingredients together. I want to have a lovely presentation for proplog on Dec 20. YUM-YUM!!!

Less than one month and counting. Proplog, I hope you will still have an appetite on December 20th!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit