I was on the air today with Dr. Joy Browne

by Bona Dea 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Thank you Parousia for sharing that. People who've experienced things like you are EXACTLY why I want to get my kids as far away from this as possible (and I mean no offense to you by that). I went to school with JW kids. I saw how they would have to leave class when someone's mom brought cake and goodies on their child's birthday, how they would miss out on certain field trips and school activities because of the patriotic or holiday orientation (and most school events are usually one or the other), how they couldn't salute the flag (and the ridicule they received because of that), and how they always looked...so alone. I always felt so sorry for them (and, trust me, my life was no bed of roses). Who in their right mind would want that for their kids??? And I know by my son saying what he has (and he's said other things that really bother me) that he is vocalizing his fear and his feeling of inadequacy...and that, to me, is scary. I am sorry for what happened with you and your siblings. I hope your life is good now (and theirs is too) and that you can go on and learn from what you've gone through. The life you described is definitely not the kind of life I want for my babies.

Thanks again for sharing

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Does he know that you think it is one big pile of crap?

And is he already past the stage of reason?

Tell him this - people already know that jw-god is a make believe asshole - that is a God given gift - so the recruitment then goes thus.

• We're here to tell you about the real God, we are the ones chosen worthy.
    • Everyone else is tricked by the devil, e ven your own family, you'll see, they'll be the ones who want to stop you
    • - disturbed loving family then says get away from that self-centred nasy crap that disturbs children who don't need someone telling them they're naked
    • "See we told you so - now do you believe us?"
    • Loved one goes off with a mind of their own - believing it must all be love and they're meant for a better purpose.

There is a bit right at the start of the bible that kids can understand - and it did make God upset - "who told you that you were naked?" They used to be naked but they weren't ashamed of it - then a snake convinced them to think differently.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 17 October 2002 22:22:30

• RR
    RR

Perhaps next time you can take it one step further and take it to the "Jerry Springer Show"

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

You have to let your kids lead a "normal" life. That is the one thing that breaks my heart is when they say we are so glad to be normal now. (17&14) we have just recently left in the last year. They are starting to make new friends (wordly ones because the witnesses aren't allowed to associate with them anymore) this is particulary hard for my daughter, she had a very close girlfriend they were like sisters since 18 months old and now her parents won't let her be with my daughter. I'm sure there will be scars. I just wish I would have woke up years ago!

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Paduan

Does he know that you think it is one big pile of crap?

Yes, he knows exactly what I think about the witnesses. I have shown him everything I have read (the hypocrisy, the corruption, what I believe to be doctrinal errors)...and unfortunately (and strangely), this has only fueled his belief that they are the only ones who have the truth. He has even said by my adamant opposition I have only convinced him even more so that what he is doing is right.

And is he already past the stage of reason?

Sadly, most definitely.

There is a bit right at the start of the bible that kids can understand - and it did make God upset - "who told you that you were naked?" They used to be naked but they weren't ashamed of it - then a snake convinced them to think differently.

Great logic. I have never really seen it put that way before. That would make perfect sense to a reasonable person.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Thanks RR. I knew some sarcastic response like that was inevitable. I was just waiting for the person who would make it...Thanks for contributing. Dr. Joy Browne is hardly comparable to Jerry Springer. A 3 minute anonymous discussion on the radio with a trained psychologist is quite a bit different than showing your face on a disreputable t.v. talk show to millions of viewers .

Bona

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Thanks Iv4fer.

Having a normal life is something so many take for granted until they can see it slipping through their fingers. We didn't get involved with the witnesses until about 4-5 years ago, so I remember all too well how wonderful normalcy (not to be confused with perfection) feels. I mean, just having the freedom to decide to let your son join the cub scouts is something I would have never dreamed would be taken from me, or letting him wear red, white, and blue to commemorate the deaths of 9-11, or let him go on a field trip to a pumpkin farm....these are things that normal people do on a daily basis and take the freedom to be able to do them for granted. These are the kind of things that lead to a holy war in my house...almost daily. Its ridiculous to have to fight for your right (and your childrens rights) to be allowed to just be normal.

I am sorry for what your daughter is having to go through. I hope she makes a ton of really good and dependable friends. It is good that you have gotten out and are now able to allow her the, if she so chooses, freedom to befriend whomever she chooses...and to have the opportunity of living a simple and normal life. I wish you the best....

• RR
    RR

Yeah, but just think of the millions of people you could reach :)

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

LOL...RR, okay, okay....since you put it that way, I'll think about it

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Of all the radio psychologists, Dr Joy is my favorite. She is professional that has a grasp of issues that the others (especially Dr. Laura) do not. I have listened to Dr Joy on and off for may years and have actually benefited from listening. I am sure that those in the audience in a similar position understood exactly where you were coming from.

Congratulations - you did GOOD!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit