Does God Deceive Us?An Answer

by FrankRaven 8 Replies latest jw friends

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

OK.

I've read what Joe Alward wrote.If he's an atheist,I can see why he won't trust the bible.I mean after all,he has done the one major thing most folks why try to tear the bible apart to prove absolutely nothing.

By taking a verse out of content and not reading the next verse can mean anything for anyone.I mean the Watchtower does it all the time.

Example: Ezekiel 20:25,"Therefore I also gave them up to statutes that were not good,and judgments by which they could not live."So in other words would that say God lies?Sure,if that all it says,but someone forgot to read the 24th verse,"because they had not executed My judgements,but had despied My Statutes,profaned My Sabbaths,and their eyes were fixed on their Father's idols."So does God lie?Read on.....

Numbers 23:19,"God is not a man that He should lie....."

Titus 1:2,"in hope of eternal life which God,who can not lie,promised before time began."

And as for a thought,"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God,for they are foolishness to him;nor can he know them,because they are spiritually discerned."(1Cor2:14)

"For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him?Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God."(1Coe2:11)

So,let God be true in all things and as I close,"For God does confound the foolish."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The question is, why would anyone believe the bible?

And the foolish are confounded by everything, why wouldn't they glom onto a contradictory book written by men who we know nothing (for the most part) about? Men who lived in a comparitively savage age, and who wrote and lived accordingly.

Are you foolish FrankRaven? You seem so.

Edited by - SixofNine on 16 October 2002 13:3:25

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

Why not?

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

If you do not believe the Bible is the word of God? Does that make you a Atheist?

What if for example you left Christianity, and started studying eastern religion and then Pagan religions. Then you ended up finding a liking in the philosophies of Shamanism and Wicca. Does that make you a Atheist?

I ask, as I think their are many definitions of God and I know that I do not hold to the one that says God is a man sitting on a thrown and speaking through a book he had people write 1000's of years ago. Yet at the same time, I do not classify myself as a Atheist. I only see myself as someone who sees the image of a god different than others.

Would you agree?

Just wondering

Dragon

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Definitely dragon,

If you didn't believe that the bible is the word of God, it simply means that you didn't read and hear "God" at the time you read it. It doesn't make you an athiest - better to say what you truthfully think - " let your yes be yes and your no be no " - and behold, you are a christian.

I would more likely think that you simply didn't hear what other people said was supposed to be there, or that everyone else wouldn't shutup when you were trying to read it. You know, the thing about goats was that they take away the food from the sheep, it's not that they wouldn't swallow everything - quite the contrary.

The thing with the bible is that even if you didn't read "God", there are other people who wrote it and read it that have been so floored by the truth they saw, that they personally heard, that lots of other people just know that something's going on there - and for whatever reasons, they're willing to try and find out.

I would venture to say that Buddhists generally have more respect for the christian bible, than do most 'christians', and I think that the Dalai is a fair dinkum christian - "my religion is kindness" - certainly leaves the apocalyptic crew behind - it's no wonder at all that people put aside the christian bible.

I'm a catholic myself, that is, it's my tradition and my ritual. I know that St. Francis (who I was taught of a lot) in prayer spoke of his brother the sun and sister the moon. Through the ages people thought of it as 'nice' sounding - but I reckon he meant it, which is a bit out there for some catholics. He also prayed a prayer that was prayed by Augustine "What are You and what am I?"

paduan

• tdogg
    tdogg
    there are other people who wrote it and read it that have been so floored by the truth they saw, that they personally heard, that lots of other people just know that something's going on there

A Paudan, that argument could also be used to validate the Book of Mormon as well, no?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It could be used as a reason for every religion getting a look in - but what did they find? Truth, or something else that they were wanting?

Edited by - a paduan on 17 October 2002 1:4:22

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

Sounds good to me...as a realist,but as a minister....It matters not who did what or how,but what's important,to me,is who said it and why.

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

SixofNine...is it foolish to search out something that may resolve many unanswered questions or is it foolish just seeking it?Yet who's the fool to follow or being followed?

Many questions arise out of many answers,yet the answer may not be important as understanding the question.

The Bible.....that's interesting.Some may work for me and not work for others.Yet to be insulting by calling one a fool to believe...........So the question is back at you...what do you believe and why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit