I'm bummed out...

by butalbee 12 Replies latest jw friends

• butalbee
    butalbee

I've been out of work since 10/1 because of an operation I had, and tomorrow will be my first day back. I really don't wanna go back. I thought I might have won the lottery, but I only hallunicated while on the prescription pain med's of winning. I don't hate my job, I just hate working. Make any sense? Just wanted to share....

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Your post brings back memories. Toward the end of my working life I was hating the job, getting up in the morning, some of the folks at work and resented having to do the work, which really wasn't work as I sat at a desk all day. Thank goodness for retirement !!

• Francois
    Francois

I'm with you too.

Four years ago, I had a very serious injury to my back and pelvis. I was out of work for four months. When I went back, I didn't want to. I struggled to perform for the next three and a half years. Still my chronic pain kept me from performing very well. Finally last February I quit out of sheer disgust at the lack of support.

I've been doing part time, off-site work since, but not too much. I had quiet a little nest egg in the bank and have been living off that plus what my wife, a college professor, makes. No children at home. Simple life.

The very idea of going back to some cube farm is beyond my comprehension. I'd have to be starving first. The inventor of the office cube should be taken out and shot for inventing these de-humanizing work spaces. The last one I had was six feet square.

If you find something you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life. If you can find it.

francois

• Robdar
    Robdar

(((((((((Butalbee)))))))

• scumrat
    scumrat

Hey butalbee,

I'm currently re-couperating from minor surgery and will be out till Nov. 1st. I know how you feel. I wish I could hit the megabucks and not have to go back. Seems like a struggle to make up for lost time since I left the borg!!! I guess I can still dream cause you know, when you dream, you can have anything. So until I go back to work, I'll be dreaming. Good Luck on your return and I hope you do hit the lottery.

• gumby
    gumby

Hey Gal....me too. Since 10/21,

I had a watercraft collision...broke 3 ribs, 2 compression fractures, and a lung that was breifly messed up.

Why didn't you call dammit! I have been bored out of my mind, and we could have suffered together.

I went off the Vicodein about 5 or 6 days ago.........ya they were nice......but I went off vountatily cuz I've been there before with those little gems.

I love not working too.....but unless I inherit some dough or find a bag of gold........there's no other choice.

• terabletera
    terabletera

Oh girl, can I share this???? LOL

I can totally relate to how you feel.

I had a great, good paying job. Due to problems requiring my son to be removed from the school system for a quarter and be home tutored, I had to give up my job. I did, however, get another one that paid well and was flexible and very family oriented. And I might add, was a small private business and the two others I worked with I became very fond of. Well, hard times hit downtown and the business had trouble. All things pointed to retirement for this 12 year old business. I was out of work. Since then, I have submitted my resume...professionally written and my contacts are excellent and I have skills...god they're in there somewhere. Not one place has hired me. Come to find out, None of my contacts have been called! No one even checks my many excellent references! Out of desperation, I took jobs that paid half what I made working with young women young enough to date my son! And I am not flippen kidding (And I thought 37 was young!). I am now not working. I was just disgusted with the way some places were and I cant' go back to thinking in the box of these homogenized businesses. Oh the stories! They're laughable but true. My husband has tried to encourage me to not give up but I have. I've decided to finally just go back to school. take up cello again, maybe fulfill my dream of playing in the symphony I don't know but apparently I am getting old!!!!lol

Anyway, you aint alone. (smiles to you..my emoticons don't work)

Tera

• more2C
    more2C

I can relate to all of you. I am dreading to go to work each time I am scheduled. I have had this same job for almost 10 years. On my 10th anniversary, I plan to quit and do something different that I like. (Is there a job for watching TV, all day?) I just started a water aerobics class and that has helped with the depression. Yes, I am dreaming of better days, also.

Keep dreaming!!!

more2C

• Carmel
    Carmel

Dang! I must be weird! I love going to work each day. 59 years young and having a ball. I can't imagine putting my mind out to pasture and my body in a rocking chair. If i have my way, I'll kick off at 88 still working at what I love.

caveman of the "work is worship" class

• Derrick
    Derrick
    I don't hate my job, I just hate working. Make any sense?

Makes perfect sense to me. Reminds me of a gentleman in a silicon valley company I heard about through the grapevine who "retired" years ago. He enjoys his "pension" in the form of a bi-monthly direct-deposit paycheck. He shows up in the office on occasion, works at home most of the time, and sometimes is gone for weeks. He's trying to get rich off buying and selling real estate but is clueless about the process, but that's basically what fills his days. Earns in the six-digits. The sad part is that when it finally catches up to him, he will have no current marketable skills and no discipline to actually produce something tangible. This has been going on for over a decade, now, this office-sacred-cow seems intouchable.

My philosophy is that loving work is an aquired taste, like learning to savor plain non-fat yogurt. Once you get into a position with cushy pay, and know you will soon pay off the house and retire comfortably, you can acquire a taste for work. I have gained so many diverse high tech skills with this attitude, that work "tastes" like eating a Baskin Robbins icecream sundae on a hot summer day in an air-conditioned cubicle.

I hope this helps you make a much needed "attitude adjustment," because I used to view work much as you. I didn't hate my job, but I just hated working. Yes, it makes a lot of sense. You basically feel like you're making someone else filthy rich, and knowing their proverbial "table scraps" can pay off your mortgage. Once you arm yourself to the teeth with high tech knowledge and learn to produce tangible results (called "deliverables" in corporations), the sky's the limit on your yearly income. It's the lack of this attitude and motivation that is why the economy is like a big toilet bowl that somebody suddenly flushed (and explains the dissying sensation and our economy spins toward that apex with a whoshing sound).

By the way, don't take my advice that you need an "attitude adjustment" personally. I know these words give many flashbacks of meetings with elders in KH libraries. I'm talking about a positive form of adjustment.

Your topic name caught my eye because I once dated someone who used to get all bummed out because she didn't want to wait until marriage, if you catch my drift.

Derrick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit