God's name

by freedom96 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
  • Texas Apostate
    Texas Apostate

Did Jesus ever call his Father by his first name...hummm.. let me see... NO! If you read the in the New Testatment, when Jesus would pray, he would always call "Jehovah" Father. This seems to me the proper way to identify Him

• metatron
    metatron

Interesting that refering to Jesus as 'Lord', in an African-American Kingdom Hall
    has it's origin in Christendom, rather than the 'truth'!

metatron

• grace4u
    grace4u

Jesus was the example, He called him Father when He prayed. It's not disrespectful, but based on a loving relationship, which is why I call him Father, also.

Besides, Jehovah is a man made word. We only have the tetragrammaton. The Hebrew word for God. YHVH was all there was, because it was unholy to say His name. It was unpronouncable. Man put the vowels in it. So it could be lots of different things- such as- Yohovih, Yihaveh, ect. For the JW to say that they are the true religion because they use Gods true name is a bunch of hooey. No one really knows for sure!

• jack2
    jack2

I've always felt that the name Jehovah was over-used by the jws and their publications, and while I wouldn't say that they'd say that using "God" was wrong, one does feel very odd in their midst when saying "God".

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Jesus never refered to God as "Jehovah" ... I wonder why?

Spanner

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Re: "God's name" 'post.

The Bible admonishes us to use Our Heavenly Creator's Holy Name:

MATTHEW: 12:18,19,20,21 (18): " Look! My servant whom I chose, my beloved, whom my soul approved! I will put my spirit upon him, and what justice is he will make clear to the nations. (19): He will not wrangle, nor cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the broad ways. (20): " No bruised reed will he crush, and no smoldering flaxen wick will he extinguish, until he sends out justice with success. (21): "Indeed, in his name nations will hope."

ROMANS:10:13: " For "everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved."

JOHN 17:26: " And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them."

ISAIAH:"12:4,5,6: (4): And in that day you will certainly say:" Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high.(5):" Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth.(6):" Cry out shrilly and shout for joy, O you inhabitress of Zion, for great in the midst of you is the Holy One of Israel."

EXODUS 20:7:" You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave the one unpunished who takes up his name in a worthless way."

Christian Love,

Edited to add EXODUS 20:7 to my post.

AwakenedAndFree

Edited by - AwakenedAndFree on 14 October 2002 15:46:29

• metatron
    metatron

As I pointed out before, everytime Jesus refers to "God's name", it's just another occasion that HE AVOIDED
    SAYING YAHWEH OR JEHOVAH.
    Even Jehovah avoided using his own name - in John , wherein Jesus asked "Father, glorify your name"- the reply was "I both glorified it and will glorify it again"
    So, THEY BOTH AVOIDED USING THE NAME!!!

Christians prefered using "Father" - which is why John avoids the name completely in his
    3 letters - even in the erroneous New World Translation.

metatron

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Speaking of the "Jehovah fetish", at my sister's wedding recently, they must've said the name Jehovah about 50 or 60 times, in about a 15 minute wedding talk.

It almost seemed like he was doing it on purpose.

example:

"And Jehovah God will bless your marriage if you put Him first. Jehovah will bless you as sevants of his if you do these things outlines in (blah blah scripture). Here, Jehovah says to His people..LOLOLOL

I thought I was going to spear the bastard with my corsage pin if he said "Jehovah" again.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit