Use of first names at the KH

by Sour Grapes 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sparrowdown nailed it .

Correction: Cult-speak designed to remind you that you are not an individual and of your obligation to the collective

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom
    Yep. I believe it is meant to keep JWs from feeling true intimacy with others, keeping a disconnect with them. Paul referred to first century Christians by their first name. Another way JWs are not in line with the NT. I believe Bro. (first name) would be a good middle line.
  • prologos
    prologos
    question box April 1996 km.
  • Oogie
    Oogie
    I grew up in the cult, so I never called anyone bro or sis...I think the only one I ever called that was the C.O.
  • blondie
    blondie

Here the rule is followed when first calling on people at the meetings.

Example:

WT Study/book(bible) conductor:

Asks question and looks out at hands up: Brother Known You 20 Years

BKY20Y answers

Conductor: Thank you Bob

Before and after the meetings, only B or S if they can't remember their first name (which is often if they are not in their in group).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    In my experience ,in the UK, they generally use first names in conversation. It is only when a speaker calls on somebody for an answer that he will say Bro..or Sis....
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

The conductors always had a dilemma when calling on young children and toddlers. Do you refer to a 3 year old as Bro Smith? Somewhere along the line the society directed them to address unbabtized ones by their first names only without Bro/Sis beforehand. Yet, that was weird when an adult was close to baptism, raised their hand and called called Bob or Suzie.

Only a cult would make rules about this!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And then there was the issue of not calling someone Bro or Sis until:

• they had been to enough meetings and studied long enough to earn this 'privilege'
    • they became publishers
    • they answered some silly bible/WT questions and got dunked in water

In the meantime, they were addressed by their first name or Mr./Miss/Mrs. So-and-so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit