What does this scripture mean to you?

by Valis 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

I brought this up during the beginnings of the flame war we just encountered and it got overlooked. For all of you who follow the bible/or not as a guide I would like your opinions on how it might relate to how we view each other. The verses are Luke 9:49-50, which I got off an online KJV, just the easiest.

Luke 9 49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
    50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer "Bible Study" class

• nilfun
    nilfun

Jesus at his best.

Perhaps there is not just one way to do the right thing.

• TR
    TR

Well, it could be that those scriptures singlehandedly trash all religions that claim to be God's only channel.

TR

• mustang
    mustang

Tolerance? Would it ever break out in Brooklyn?

Remember: the JW doctrine of INTERFAITH states that Interfaith is evil.

Mustang

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Wow, I am impressed , Valis, is quoting scriptures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kiddin, Val, good point on this, even if the Bible were not inspired , there are alot of good lessons on how to treat one another. Jesus was a cool man, if only we could try to be more like him, even if I didnt believe in Him, the teaching of Christ were that of tolerance and love.

• jurs
    jurs

I'm glad you brought that scripture up. I've read it before and never even thought of the implications. Reading it this time, I would agree that religions that say they are the only way are not correct. Good work!!! It keeps us thinking!!!!

jurs

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

this is what I got out of the NIV study bible:

49 not one of us : Jesus shifts the pronoun to "you" in v. 50 which may mean that the man had a relationship to Jesus of which the disciples were unaware. note mark 9:38 the man apparently was a believer but he was not one of the exclusive company of the 12. Nevertheless he acted in Jesus' name and had done what the disciples, on at least one occasion had not been able to do. And Jesus did not condemn him.

50 whoever is not against you is for you : Spoken in the context of opposition to the disciples' work.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

gotta throw this one past my mom!!! Thanks Valis

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

If people are on the same page, I wonder why they think they're not.

• Beans
    Beans

It is clear that this was a Sunday morning and the apostles had just awoke from the previous night of wine drinking, Jesus was not able to think with a clear conscience as his whore had just left him and Tylenol had not been invented as of yet.

Beans

Canadian Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit