Watchtower is Re-Writing History!

by UnDisfellowshipped 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Ahhhhh, once again we have 1984. Was Orwell some kind of ex-JW or what??? Man, he had them down pat.....

• undercover
    undercover
    Reading through this thread brought a question to mind. Why, after having left the WT, do we expend so much of our lives researching WT teachings? From the post that I have read it seems that many, like myself, have been away from the WT for many, many years. At what point do we get beyond the WT? At what point do we allow ourselves to not be consumed with WT issues?

Excellant question(s).

I have on recently started to learn many of the things that a lot of you already know. But I have wondered why so many spend so much time researching the same things over and over. Are they still trying to convince themselves they are correct? Do they have doubts? Or they sincere in trying to help others see thru the lies and hypocrisy? I think there are some of both. I hope that when I have gotten this all straight in my head, I can move on and not need to harp on what the WTS does anymore.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

I would imagaine that if the WTS believs it literature contains truth,

than the literature they distribute should also contain the latest truth

or understanding. I dont see why there is a problem with them

changing literature that was once printed, and later found out to

contain "bad truth" and than re writing it so it contains "new truth"

• jack2
    jack2

Kelsey, you ask some very good questions, and I've wondered the same on occasion. My conclusion has been that there are many who need to validate their decision to leave, so they feel the need to 'dig up dirt' as it were. There are others who observe certain things and go through certain experiences which are often enough to convince them that their decision to leave was correct.

There are, of course, many others who teeter between staying and leaving, who have doubts and are not quite sure what to think. To them, some dirt digging might help in the decision-maiking process.

One thing I always try to remember before I start to think, 'hey, why can't people just move on' is that this religion's influence is in many ways all-pervasive in the lives of its adherents and former adherents. Thus, moving on is something that is very often easier said than done, hence the need for many folks to continue to validate their doubts and/or their decisons with regard to this religion.

• TonyT
    TonyT

Isn't it reasonable that a person to whom they sold......errr... placed a bound volume or a cd should expect that they would have an accurate copy of the literature that they claim to represent? Unless they inform the reader that changes may have been made, they should not be editing old literature to reflect new understandings.

• faithfulJW
    faithfulJW

I think the word is actually revising not rewriting. They are not rewriting history, they are simply revising their understanding of the Bible. And making changes accordingly. While I agree that there may be some point to informing us of the changes, what's going on isn't exactly wrong. All books are revised, that's why there are editions in the first place. Besides as a JW, with time you come to realize that once in a while we have gotten things wrong. It's only human. The whole world is trying to figure out the Bible (that is those who believe in it). JWs don't claim to have worked it all out. We just preach and publish material to the best of our understanding. And when the Society sees fit (I know how that sounds) they revise their understanding. Now I may not be a conventional JW, but I don't see that as a sign to change my beliefs and I don't think anyone else should either. I see it as a sign to look over what I have grown up believing and make what adjustments I feel are necessary (if any). After all we're all human. And hence all prone to mistakes, the Society included.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

Welcome Faithful :o)

>We just preach and publish material to the best of our understanding. And when the Society sees fit (I know how that sounds) they revise their understanding.

I wonder if you could possibly answer a few questions that occur to me as an *observer*? Thanks in anticipation :o)

Who were the language scholars who originally translated the New World Translation?

How many years of academic training and research had these language scholars undergone prior to undertaking the task of translation?

Where may I obtain copies of peer reviews dealing with the language abilities of these scholars, copies of other translations of works from Hebrew and Greek undertaken by these scholars and details of the academic institutions to which these scholars were attached?

Who is responsible/who takes ultimate responsibility for what appears in the Society's literature?

Who is responsible/who takes ultimate responsibility for deciding which parts of scholarly works should be *selectively* quoted to apparently support the Society's position when in fact the scholar quoted is misrepresented? We are not talking about mistakes here, we are talking about *deliberate* misrepresentation.

Do you think that this *misrepresentation* is an honourable activity and one befitting a person/group of people who claim(s) to be christian?

What do you think causes the Society to *see fit* and *revise their understanding*?

Do you think that the Society and those who are on the Governing Body have a duty of care to its members and converts?

And if so, do you think that the Governing Body is discharging its duty of care in a responsible manner by altering its policies on vaccination, organ transplant, use of blood treatments?

I agree that we are all human and all make mistakes. Do you not think it reasonable, therefore, to see acknowledgements of responsibility and apologies for past errors - particularly where policies have caused loved ones to lose their lives before the introduction of *new light* or where children have suffered physical and emotional trauma as a result of the *2 witness* ruling in cases of child abuse?

I would be very interested in your responses and look forward to hearing from you :o)

With thanks.

• larc
    larc

FaithfulJW, First of all, welcome to this whirlwind of discussion. I admire your courage in coming here. Now, you state that books must be updated from time to time. Yes, that is true. Now, it does depend on the need for updating. For example, before 1914, one of Russell's books stated that in 1914 there would be the full destruction of world governments. The edition after 1914 stated that 1914 would mark the beginning of the deterioration and destruction of world governments. So, with an economy of words, Russell changed the entire meaning of the text. I can provide quotes later, but they are not at my finger tips right now. Now, you make the point that the WT leaders are imperfect men. Well, that is true. However, as the sole channel of communication between God and mankind, don't you think they should operate at a higher standard than us unwashed masses. The evidence of their performance through many failed prophecies demonstrates that they do not live up to their claim of divine guidance.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The critical issue for me in this is that the society has such a pious attitude about itself; it believes it's own press that it is the "channel" from God, according to the KM of last thursday. Since when does God have to rewrite itself?

Is it ethical and honest to rewrite out old embarassing quotes? Is it ethical to delete the same type of embarassing old quotes from the CD, as if they never existed?

I would not hold them so accountable, if they would just take it easy, and NOT make it such a crime to talk about their mistakes in the open. Who would be hurt by a discussion of the stupid things they have said? Most witnesses would welcome such a discussion and would forgive them immediately. When they make discussing this "speaking against God's slave" and compare it to the spirit of Korah, they are making a grave and sinful comparison. They are NOT Moses and Aaron; we are not the Israelites, no matter how much they quote the Hebrew scriptures.

Most witnesses I know suffer from cognitive dissonance, the conflict in a person's mind when the reality is inconsistent with long and deeply held beliefs; I think most if not all are in various stages of denial.

Think: we have said the the society is not perfect. Ok, so what are it's imperfections? I bet that active and faithful witnesses are not able to even think about what they might be. We have paid lip service to their imperfection, but dare not think let alone voice specific things.

This is NOT the nation of Israel; there are no prophets or kings; NO ONE PERSON or group of persons has any better idea what God's will is that anyone else. I submit that because the GB is so isolated from everyone in the normal world and because they are saddled with keeping all written material in line with previous material, unless to do so would be more damaging politically than changing, that they are LESS ABLE to know what God's will is for us individually and collectively.

What do you think?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

ChristianObserver,

Since the authors of your holy book have committed the very same offenses you castigate the WT for (and BTW, Jesus' disciples were unlettered men; I bet you'd be asking Phillip for his scholarly credentials too), I suggest you pause before you offer such criticisms. Pot, kettle, dark grey, and all that....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit