Jehovah's Witness meets a Born Again Christian on a Train. Oh and a Muslim

by passwordprotected 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under the radar
    under the radar

Thanks for sharing that story, and especially for the pics. I don't blame you for being put off by the loud discussion, especially when you paid extra to be in the quiet section. If there was a conductor or attendant around, they should have asked them to dial it back or move to another car.

This reminded me of my own train story, though it's not nearly as interesting as yours. I was in Cambridge between Christmas and New Year's a year ago and got to take the high speed train down to London and back for a day of sightseeing. Really enjoyed the train ride, and finally seeing some of the historic spots in London I'd always wanted to see was great. It was a very good, albeit long, day. Anyway, as we're speeding down the tracks toward London at about 100 mph (160 km/h), what should I see out the window but a big blue JW-dot-org sign put up in someone's back yard, obviously put there to "witness" to the train passengers. I wonder if the homeowner is a JW just doing his bit, or if a local congregation paid someone to put it there. Unfortunately, it whizzed by too fast for me to get a shot of it.

Shoot! All this talk of trains makes me want to go back and finish reading The Girl on the Train. There goes the morning...

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Still hoping a Scot will tell me what a Virgin train is. Is Virgin their way of saying non-stop? Might be good to know if/when I visit the country.

The great thing about the country I'm in is no one is allowed to talk noisily on a train. They will soon be shushed by the people around them. It makes preaching almost impossible!.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

This reminds me of a place where I once worked:

- owned by a family of Exclusive Bretheren, and the work crew included a JW (myself), a "Born-Again" fellow of a particularly fanatical stripe, plus one person who could not stand hearing the subject of religion being discussed. Needless to say, she was frequently quite irritated!

Bill.

• cliff
    cliff

"VIRGIN" is the brand name of a string of companies started and owned by Richard Branson.

Virgin Atlantic airline, Virgin music, trains, banking etc etc

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Sounds like the premise for a great Hitchcock film. Too bad they didn't all murder each other, they all had motives!

DD

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    Your noise cancelling Headphones are not working too well. You should buy some good Bose headphones.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

Thanks for the explanation Cliff. Good to know. I'd like to visit Scotland and England someday.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@Quarterback - the noise cancelling is digital. The headphones analyse the ambient sounds and determine the frequency, cancelling noise from aircraft engines, trains etc. But they're smart enough to allow the human voice to get through a little. When you're listening to music, watching a movie etc, all external noise is completely cut off.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1rnc

I was more put off with what they were discussing; I couldn't actually hear them when I had the headphones on and the movie was playing, but my natural nosiness had me pausing the movie so that I could tap into the chat. Which was daft as it was just pissing me off...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit