by stephenw20 10 Replies latest jw friends

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

bbbowen" < [email protected]>
    From: "bbbowen" < [email protected]> | Block Address | Add to Address Book
    To: < [email protected]>
    Subject: why did you do this??
    Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:40:35 -0600

we have tried to keep this quiet with regard to the dateline story, especially any information that would reveal stratagey. Who are you working for, the society?? i would appreciate it if you would immediately remove the information relating to laura so to stop this from doing any more damage by giving wt additional information. this could hurt what dateline decides to use. please respond and correct asap.
    regards,
    bill

DRAFFENVILLE, Ky. --An elder in a Jehovah's Witnesses congregation at Draffenville has resigned his leadership position because of a policy he claims "has harmed thousands, is leaving many unprotected, and provides refuge to outright criminals."

The elder, William Bowen, resigned last week from his position as an elder and presiding overseer, the rough equivalent to a pastor in other Protestant denominations. In doing so he cited the church's policy regarding the reporting of suspected child abusers to law enforcement authorities. Bowen said the policy, which requires accusers to report alleged abuse to church elders rather than to legal authorities, lets "literally thousands" of pedophiles go unpunished.

"I am referring to Watch Tower policy to keep information about pedophiles confidential," Bowen wrote in his resignation letter. "Pedophiles are protected by a code of silence and in many cases remain (in leadership positions or as members in good standing) while their victims suffer in silence or face sanctions. This policy is unethical and immoral in my opinion."

A spokesman at the church's headquarters in New York said there is no prohibition or discouragement in going to legal authorities in the event of child abuse.
    Bowen, 43, who has served in various leadership capacities in the church for about two decades, said he has seen multiple similar cases in his visits to various congregations. The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society is a not-for-profit entity the church uses to publish literature, supervise global evangelizing and organize conventions and schools for the ministry of Witnesses. Bowen said he grew up in the faith and by resigning, "I'm basically throwing away 40 years in the organization." Still, it was something Bowen felt he had to do because he doubts that the policy will change unless public pressure mounts, he said.

"I have fretted with this for two or three years, but this is wrong and it has to be stopped," he said. "This is not something where I can allow myself to look the other way anymore."
    J.R. Brown, public affairs director for Jehovah's Witnesses at the church's headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y., said in a statement that the members of the faith "abhor all forms of wickedness, including child abuse.’’ "If child abuse becomes known to our church elders, they strictly comply with applicable child abuse reporting laws. We also encourage the wrongdoers to do everything they can to set the matter straight with the authorities. Furthermore, we do not prohibit or discourage the victim or the victim's parents from reporting child abuse to the authorities even if the alleged perpetrator is one of Jehovah's Witnesses." Bowen said church policy calls for the elders to question the accused in private, and if the charge is denied, the burden of proof then falls on the accuser to prove the allegations. If the accuser cannot do so — and two witnesses are required — the matter is dropped, he said. Confidentiality is paramount throughout the process, Bowen said, and not even the spouse of the accused or the parents of children who are in contact with the accused are told of the accusations. "As an elder, I am instructed if it is one person's word against another, and not two witnesses to the wrong, no action would be taken and no authorities would be notified," Bowen wrote. "The victim? Cautioned to keep silent or face discipline within the congregation that could go as far as being disfellowshipped for slander." James Bonnell, another elder in the Draffenville congregation, calling child molestation "a terrible thing," said the church "in no way condones that at all." According to the church's Web site, the faith has nearly 6 million practicing members in almost 90,000 congregations worldwide. The Draffenville congregation has approximately 50 members, Bowen said.

I have always thought a way to keep things quiet is to go to the newspaper. I am sorry BILL ....... the BIll who wrote me , feels the need to take this fight for all of us on his own............

I will say my peace as it is AMERICA...and it is a freedom

any one else?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Yeah. It's funny that you would be bringing this to us instead of just dealing with it behind the scenes.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Hi BILL,

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well I think that you totally violated his trust with that last, very distasteful and immature post!

He asked you to keep it quite and what do you do, post it. He does't owe you any explaination, but those were his wishes. There's a diff between tellin part of a story and telling all. He's the one that's gone after this, with his neck on the line.

I don't know if this makes you feel cool or what but it was totally out of line and I ask that you delete the first part, because that was in direct violation of the message!

Venice

• myMichelle
    myMichelle
    Does any one see any thing funny here

Yes. I see that you have taken a private correspondence and made it public without the consent of the other individual. How crass.

Michelle

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

IT WAS PUBLIC WHEN IT HIT THE NEWSPAPER

I wasnt interviewed
    he was..is that how a story is KEPT QUIET

...a confidence can only be entered into when two people know each other...I dont know this fella
    and the story is on the
    http://watchtower.observer.org/
    website under child molestation

now that is keeping it quiet isnt it!

• myMichelle
    myMichelle
    bbbowen" < [email protected]>
    From: "bbbowen" < [email protected]> | Block Address | Add to Address Book
    To: < [email protected]>
    Subject: why did you do this??
    Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:40:35 -0600

I examined the "to:" line, and it only addresses stephenw20.

I read the body of the email, and no where within do I find consent to post it on a public forum. In fact, I see a request to stop making additional information public, key word: additional. Yes, it is his fight and he has determined what he wants to make public, without you imposing your conscience upon him.

a confidence can only be entered into when two people know each other

Really? Okay, I (and hopefully others here) will keep that in mind before attempting any private dialogue with you, ie. email. Rationalize all you want, but a breach of netiquette, and common courtesy was made.

Michelle

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

his fight,
    really...hmmmmmm i dont know bout that, he may have a specific battle but the fight is for all who have been in any way harmed by the WTBTS......

I did not wirte to Bill....he took it upon himself to write me. He can request anything he would like, that doesn not mean I have to grant or agree with him........

if he wanted to keep this REAL PRIVATE..he would not have used the web........ get a grip!

By the way the original letter was written by Laurie, noT Bill. She included , Bills name, I just did the same...perhaps you should mention it to her.

Toodles!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well she didn't post in on a board you moron. You can't defend what you did so just quite trying you'll only dig yourself deeper man.

His fight, well he is leading it, who else has gone on TV and been in the papers with this HUH!!! Ye remind me not to tell you anyting PERSONAL EVER!!!

if you posted this to look cool like 'I'm in the know' or whatever all it did was show that ummm no your not!

Take care!

Venice

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Dearest Sister Venice,

I apprecaite your passion, its wonderful....and I am sure in your opinion your right.......i see little difference between thehttp://watchtower.observer.org/ and here...but you can enjoy which ever belief you have..........

While you may think he is the only one going to the papers or news I assure you , this is not true. And one final thing

If he is so disgusted with the WTBTS , GODS VISIBLE ORGANIZATION ON EARTH....why is he still a member of it.....

remember this

And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.

Luk 9:50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid [him] not: for he that is not against us is for us.

how can you be against an organization and still be part of it

Please enjoy the day Venice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit