My Story

by Lemon_Lime 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lemon_Lime
    Lemon_Lime

First off, I want to give prop's to "dantheman"......that post inspired me to share my experience, and thanks to everyone that responded to my first post under "desperately seeking"....that was a nice welcome. This might ramble ....

I was born and bred into the borg....my dad was/is an elder, I had a big family, two older sisters, three younger bro's....I was baptized at 15 (I'm 25 now) and tried to pioneer...give talks...have repsonsibilities...but the wrong feeling that had been welling up in my stomach and kept getting stronger as time went on.

When I moved away from my hometown at 17, my life really started to change.....I met an awesome girl (another JW)....and we fell in love pretty quickly...and I also left home and got my own apt. (much to my fathers sadness). Early on, we realized that we had similar wrong "feelings" about what we had been raised to beleive....but this presented a problem....our families were in the cult, but my girlfriend and I really loved each other....so we did what any good young christians would do...we maintained a fairly decent facade and got married (we were both twenty).....after our honeymoon we attended one meeting and decided to drop out completely.

Up to this point we had been regarded in fairly good standing, so this came as quite a shock to our families and former friends.....I consider myself lucky that I had my best friend to go through this experience with...it was a pretty big trauma and we didn't really know what to do, but despite the stress and shunning (and sadness that it caused our families), the freedom felt great. About two months later I went to my parents house and laid everything out to them (we were never da'd or df'd, we just left)....it was the first time I ever saw my father cry....it was pretty bad...I told him that I beleived he was in a cult...and the look of horror/sadness/guilt/? in his face was pretty tough for me to handle, but it reinforced the decision that we had made.

Unfortunately, after about two years of marriage, we got divorced.....we realized that we had gotten married too young and that we still had a lot of life to live. That was my second biggest trauma....I initiated the divorce and have had a hard time dealing with the guilt (we never had any kids, and now we are really close friends) but up to that point we had been each others security, and had taken it for granted that we would be together for a long time....or at least that our feelings wouldn't change.....that type of dependency is what I see as one of the major dangers of the borg.....the longer you remain, the harder it is to admit to yourself that you've been living a lie.

After the divorce, I moved out to San Francisco and spent the past few years having fun, making great friends, soul searching and generally having an insane time.....I still thought about the cult from time to time but I had been trying hard to forget about my past. It all came back while having a conversation with a friend (we had known each other for a year) when we realized that we were both ex J'dubs. We were sitting a club (house bumpin' in the background) when we reach the realization, she starts crying and we hug for a few minutes, it was surreal, we felt a really intense bond, and it re-awakened some feelings about the past that I thought were gone. It made me realize the importance of thinking through my past completely, and being available to anyone who might need to talk.

I've probably dragged this on long enough, but I want to say thanks to the organizers of these boards and good luck to everyone that's breaking FREE.....if anyone needs to talk, please email.....I would like to make some new friends....

-dan

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hello and welcome

I can understand how amazing the feeling is when you realise that another person is also an ex-jw. And it's so cool that we can all meet up on this board and find more friends.

Have fun!

• ugg
    ugg

thank you for posting your story,,,,,it is a nice way to get to know some one...

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Lemon_Lime;

Welcome, This must have been difficult to see. I can imagine, I could have been in his place at one time.

...I told him that I beleived he was in a cult...and the look of horror/sadness/guilt/? in his face was pretty tough for me to handle, but it reinforced the decision that we had made.

Hope all is well;

HCM

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

Welcome to you, and you will indeed find alot of new friends here.

• footprints
    footprints

we realized that we had gotten married too young and that we still had a lot of life to live. That was my second biggest trauma....I initiated the divorce and have had a hard time dealing with the guilt.

Why would you feel guilty if you both wanted the divorce.?

• Lemon_Lime
    Lemon_Lime

(footprints) It was only in retrospect that "we" agreed that it was the right decision.......I initiated it, which caused a lot of pain.

Btw......thanks for the responses, I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

Email me anytime @ [email protected]

-dan

• butalbee
    butalbee

Just wanted to say--welcome to the board!

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

Welcome to the board.

You like house music? Heres my email. I could send you some new music fresh out of the sound factory in NYC.

[email protected]

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Dan,

I enjoyed reading your post.

There is definitely a bond between anyone who has ever been a JW. You can be total strangers, and once that information is revealed, you connect. It happens time and again with me...here on the forum.

This is a good place. Granted, some of the threads might seem odd at times. But, it takes all types of people with all types of personalities to make this place interesting and alive.

Welcome aboard.

Sentinel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit