Definition of a cult

by reubenfine 7 Replies latest jw friends

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

I know the dictionary's definition of a cult, but I came up with my own: "A group of people who don't allow freedom of information or freedom of speech." The dubs obviously qualify. A cult has to be a dictatorship to keep this kind of control. While there is no outright dictator in the dubs anymore, the GB subsitutes quite nicely for one individual.

Is there another word that works better than "cult" for this definition? What is your definition of the word?

Lyle

• minimus
    minimus

K.G.B.

• DJ
    DJ

To me, a cult is secretive and manipulative. They despise others who oppose what they believe. They are controlling not only of your activities but also of your mind. Fear is a major factor. They shun. They feel superior and I think that it goes w/o saying that mental illness would be commonplace for people who live under such a tight reign. They also are encouraged to rat on each other. They are willing to sacrifice their children's lives for the sake of the cause. They are never to question. They are puppets. I could probably go on but I'm getting sleepy

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

"A group of people who don't allow freedom of information or freedom of speech."

I think that fits the C.I.A. too though.

My thought

Dragon

• Amazing
    Amazing

There are two kinds of cults: 1. Those that are extremely dangersous and self-destruct, e.g. the Jim Jone's People's Temple and the Poison CoolAid; 2. Those that keep on making noise like the Energizer Bunny ... never going away ... Jehovah's Witnesses.

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

Good points. As a side note, Jay Leno made TWO jokes about the witnesses last night. One was about neighborhood terrorists only used to be Amway dealers and Jdubs, and I forget what the other joke was.

• stichione
    stichione

Pretty accurate description. For more info check this out...

http://www.goldhammer.com/characte.htm

Edited by - stichione on 9 October 2002 13:56:33

• Jang
    Jang

Enuf definitions here to keep you reading for months

http://caic.org.au/zentry1.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit