Strange Ways

by link 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

There was an older sister (around 70 years old) in our congregation who regularly called the elders to come over, because she had problems with demons. Apparently, at night, the demons would sneak into her garage and rotate her tires.

That's why, every three months, I leave a jug of oil in the garage, just in case the demons want to drop in and change my oil.

Anyway, a few years later, she suddenly married a worldly man. When the elders asked her why she did it, she said, "I got the hots." You can't argue with that.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    This woman I knew wasn't crazy, but instead was suffering from Alzheimer, and had to come live with her daughter. One night at the TMS while one of the brothers was giving his talk, she let's out a ......hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Her daughter was my study instructor and later explained that her mom used to be a Pentecostal Holiness, before converting to the JW religion.
  • dottie
    dottie

We didn't have any outbursts, but there were a few sisters that had a horrible time with depression and other mental anxieties. I thinks it's very sad because this so-called "flock" did not ever lend any emotional support to these women or their families. If anyone ever noticed that they weren't at the meeting, it was always "oh she's not feeling 'well' tonight". One single mother in the cong. had a very bad bout of depression and do you think any of those snooty elder's wives went to check on her or even call her? Not a one. My mom(also separated), and a couple of the other single moms would help her out. Strangely enough they are all still devoted to that "flock"!

Dottie

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Thanks, Outoftheorg! Don't worry--I wasn't offended by anything posted, but I try to make sure that people are aware of other perspectives. Fortunately, I have been doing well enough (for a long enough period of time) to giggle at my bizarre experiences, but we must remember those who are still suffering and need our understanding.

I was just thinking, one good thing about those kind of outbursts is that they might show a few Witnesses how nonsensical WTBTS doctrine can be. I mean, when you think about it, maybe that guy WAS annointed. I doubt he was any less qualified than many of the current members of the Governing Body!

And Dottie, my congregation was the same way. It is very sad. That was ultimately one of the main reasons I left. I saw that brotherly love only mattered to them when they were getting credit for it. No one (except the women who could actually relate) even cared. In fact, in my congregation, a lot of the pioneer sisters gossipped about the depressed and ill brothers and sisters as if they were some how responsible for their condition. It is truly a despicable thing.

• jws
    jws

I do remember encountering a guy once out in field service who was what they would call me today: an apostate. Or, maybe he wasn't ex-JW, but knew a lot about them.

Though unverifiable, he maintained that there were more JWs as a percentage in mental institutions than any other religion. That threw me. To my trained JW mind, I hypothesised that it might be because we preach to them and convert them. Anyone else heard of this phenomenon?

Though thinking about it later, there were many people I knew in the Kingdom Hall who were not exactly "all there". When you think about it, there are a lot of imbalanced people out there who probably don't get attention and have few friends. Maybe they're depressed or lonely. When this group comes knocking on your door, offering to have you come join these friendly people, it's attractive.

My father once had a bible study with a guy who was nice enough, but a bit strange. Never really progressed too far. My dad didn't seem to care. He had his study he could count on his time sheet and was proud of that and kept the study going. This guy, however, probably appreciated the company more than anything. He was a wierd, dorky guy, probably in his late 40's who lived at home with his mother before she died. He probably had very few friends and welcomed the company.

I don't know that the organization necessarily causes all of the mental illness, though I'm certain there are enough factors to cause enough breakdowns (strictness, mind having to continually accept new light, etc.). I do think, however, that the organization, by it's active recruitment, becomes a magnet to people who are already mentally ill and perhaps haven't got the prescense of mind to see what they're getting themselves into.

-j.w.s.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Did any of you read "Jehovahs Witnesses & Mental Illnes" By Jerry Bergman-So sad!!

Hey jws I was one of those who "wasnt all there" I found that out after they "ousted" me with the left foot of fellowship lol

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

We had a guy who was "Annointed" for years. All of a sudden he's walking around town wearing nothing but a big black Hefty Bag.....I thought it was quite cool myself.

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit