The Morality of Teenage Baptism part2

by metatron 12 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

Jourles- That is a good way of putting it but wouldn't surprise me if the parents found out and got angry about it. When someone is too young to make important life decisions for themselves they have no business choosing a religion .

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Many churches preach that baptism is for believers who have made a conscious decision to the Lord, or Jesus, or Jerhover, or Yahweh, or whatever. When I da'd, my boss invited me to her big ol' Baptist church. (I went once, it was enough! I made a bee-line for the exit when the service was over, I almost didn't make it that long.) The day I went, a couple of boys got dunked, I think they were about 11 or 12. Did these boys really have a firm grasp of Christian theology? Would they be able to understand a complex doctrinal treatise written by one of their Baptist theologians? I doubt it. So is there any difference between what they do and what the Catholics do? If there is, it is very minor, imo. Same goes for WT. Baptizing an 11 year old is not much different from baptizing an infant, neither is mature enough to make a decision to dedicate their lives to a certain something. That's why disfellowshipping is such a crime.

Thanks, good post Met

• theleveler
    theleveler

While the morality of this practice is at question, the legality of allowing a minor to enter a contract with a corporation should also be scrutinized. People can be df'd based on their oath of association (ie 'baptism'), even if this was established prior to an individual legally being able to enter a contractual relationship with a company. Since a lot youths enter this arrangement due to peer/parental pressure, how can they be legally held accountable for adherence to all of the rules and regulations associated with being 'one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization (WTBTS)' as the oath stipulates?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit