Resistance is NOT futile!

by Bonsai 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

“All I want from this life is to be able to wash windows at Bethel.”

My story.

When I was fresh out of high school and pioneering, I said those exact words to my friends and family. All I wanted to do was be at the core of the organization where it was the safest. I gleefully told people that I'd gladly spend the rest of my life washing windows, waiting tables, doing laundry or cleaning bathrooms. For a period of time, I lived, ate, breathed dreams of Bethel. I remember praying so hard for two years on end to get in there. Nobody in my family (which has a long history with this religion) had ever served there before, so I wanted to make history.

I remember I was 20, basically broke and without any useful skill because they had pounded into our heads that those who serve Jehovah full time get the biggest and best of his blessings. I was a pioneer, construction labor rat, and an MS to boot. I thought my future was secure. I was going to Bethel - the house that God built.

Problem was: I could pound nails and polish windows like the best of em', but I had no specific skill or training that could make me useful. My friend was just as useless as I was in that sense. We both wanted to go to bethel, both were the same age, same school etc. The difference was his parents had both gone to Bethel, he had other uncles and aunts serving in Bethel as well. I had no such connections, but I knew that Jehovah knew how badly I wanted to go to serve him and bring joy to my family and congregation.

My friend and I both applied at roughly the same time. Six months later, he was accepted. I was left hanging. I waited two years with hope gushing that I would get in. Finally, the realization set in that there must be something wrong with me. Those two long years of being neither rejected or accepted really disappointed me. I wanted closure. Finally I gave up in my heart and moved to a foreign country to pioneer.

The disappointment of that experience didn't really hit me until years later. I had things to do in the mean time: be a need greater, find a wonderful sister, tackle new languages, bring others into the truth etc. Being busy kept me from thinking about any doubts I had of God or the organization.

Years later several events happened that little by little began to wake me up. In 2004, roughly 2000 miles from where I was living there was a massive Tsunami that wiped out entire villages. The wanton destruction made me miserable. In 2011 there was a massive earthquake/tsunami in Japan. I kept watching videos on the news and on tv over and over asking myself why god does nothing to protect or at least warn humans from imminent natural disasters that only he could know would happen. I was very troubled by them. I took my troubles to the COBE and asked him to explain why God wasn't sinning when in his own word at Proverbs 3:27 we are commanded to “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it's in your power to help them.”

What the elder said disturbed me. He said that God had the power to choose to see or not see future events. He could put on special blinders that blocked him from seeing into the future, therefore he didn't know that such disasters would happen. This explanation was unsettling because even a layman such as myself knew that earthquakes don't just happen. As tectonic plates rub up against each other friction and pressure builds. There are many small tectonic tremors that build up before the event. God would know what was going to happen before it happened. Yet he stood by and watched as babies were crushed, electrocuted or swept away.

Natural disasters disturbed me but didn't break my faith. After the Japan Tsunami and earthquake there was a scandal involving several congregations locally. A former elder died. At his funeral, somebody put a bucket of roses and assorted flowers by his casket. Well, somebody got it in their head to put a flower on top of the casket as they paid there last respects. The others in line decided to copy and each, in turn, put a flower on the casket. Well, when the C.O. later found out about this he was furious. Heads rolled. People were df'd, lost privileges, interrogated for weeks on end. The hammer came down hard on numerous individuals from numerous congregations who attended the funeral that day. I remember one meeting where a crying pioneer sister screamed out loud suddenly “Are they going to disfellowship us?! What's going to happen to us?” It took several sisters to calm her down. I found the inhumane way people were treated then to be very Pharisaical and unloving. i was beginning to see the pharisaical elements of the organization in its treatment of those who were df'd.

One of my workmates was an atheist, former Catholic who hated religion and especially he reserved a special hatred for JW's. We often clashed and debated and argued, much to the angst of others in the office. He was very knowledgeable about TTATT as he had studied up on the JW religion. Preaching to him exposed me to TTATT. I went home and naturally began to research his accusations in order to refute them. Little could be found in the publications, so I went online. The rest, as they say, is history. As soon as I learned of the scandals and falsehoods in the organization I quit going to meetings.

The wife and I battled over my position. Finally, she researched on her own to refute what I was saying. She learned TTATT and is now inactive. Thankfully she hates hypocrisy just as much as I do. We are happy to be free from the organizational rat race, which has no finish line. You either drop out of the race to live your own life, guided by your own conscience, or you drop dead while turning a lap.

My whole life I have been a "Yes man". Now I've learned to toe the line, man up and say no. I say no to child sacrifices. I say no to shunning loved ones and those who have different beliefs. I say no to fear, guilt and obligation. I say no to promoting half truths and outright false teachings. I say no to the "magnificent seven" who try to tell me how to live my life from their insular, cozy ivory tower.

I want to thank all of you for the support and knowledge that I have gained since joining this site a year ago. I am getting the therapy I need from here. I raise a glass to all of you ( atheists, theists, gays and lesbians, guys and gals) and wish you a long, happy, meaningful life. Also, a special thanks to Simon for running this site.

Warm regards,

Mr. and Mrs. Bonsai

• babygirl30
    babygirl30
    Welcome. And thank you for sharing your story!
  • cha ching
    cha ching

Awesome Mr & Mrs Bonsai! My husband and I join you in your toast to "no hypocrisy"!

Thank you so much for explaining the process of your awakening, with the details of how things made you feel. I am GLAD that you could see that just plain love (for the elder who died) is turned into something to make people feel bad. How sad! Shame on them!

It is heartening to hear that other people will not put up with this oppression! Good for you! Good for your wife! and good for all of us who have truly seen "the truth" about "the truth"!

Cheers!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Nice story. Bethel, I've always thought of it as a finishing school for guys. If you have Bethel on your resume as a JW male, you were treated like you were a little better than the average Joe.

• whathappened
    whathappened
    Welcome and thanks for the delightful background story.
  • zeb
    zeb

"The others in line decided to copy and each, in turn, put a flower on the casket"

so what the hell was wrong with that ? It was a beautiful dignified gesture.

and: "20, basically broke and without any useful skill ".

The older I get the more it angers me at the disgarded potential of young people by the gb as you say live in their "ivory tower".

Education is vital! To deny it is treacherous!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome, thanks for sharing your very interesting story. I think most people reach a point where they either (consciously or unconsciously) choose to ignore the gaping holes in the Watchtower narrative or choose start looking at things objectively. It's like the picture that looks like an old woman or a young girl depending on how you look at it, once you start seeing the ugly you can't go back to seeing the pretty.

It's seems it's often the more zealous and idealistic that eventually become disillusioned and loose faith.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Zeb, according to the JW's putting a flower on a casket is an ancient pagan custom to honor and worship the dead.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Cheers my friends
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    "Zeb, according to the JW's putting a flower on a casket is an ancient pagan custom to honor and worship the dead."

What! I never knew that. Those legalistic, self-righteous pharisees!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit