People who study for years ??

by Clambake 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Clambake
    Clambake

In my cong ( my wives cong.) there is a lady who attends every meeting , minus the field service just like a regular dub.

It just seems odd she has not taken the dip yet.

How long can you string this out for ? Is there a point where the elders might tell you to shit or get off the pot or is it just easy hours for some sister.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

There was one woman in my former congregation that studied for 7 years, I think it was. Finally committed fully to the cult. Apparently the blood ban was what had held her back, so it took an extra few doses of mind control to finally commit to the possibility having to kill one of her children for her cult.

I don't think there's much the elders can do. They can't kick someone out who's not been baptized. About the best they can do is be passive aggressive or use emotional manipulation to try to pressure them to get baptized. I'm sure whoever was studying with her got a lot of talking to about it as well, but it's not like they can DF you or take away privileges for something like that since most JWs are doing good to get someone to a meeting once.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    I think I got the record on that. My wife and I studied with a lady 33 years ago and she attended most of the meetings and the memorial all these years. She finally got baptized this year. Holy F*** I have no idea why!
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

What happened to the six month rule about if they don't progress that the study should be stopped, this was back in the early 80's when I remember them saying that. I guess they flip flop so much that it's probably not in effect anymore, and plus they need people to join now since folks are falling away now.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting
    Could it be these people who are forever studying have little social interaction and enjoy having an excuse to get dressed up for and enjoy being the center of people's attention?
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    JustVisting
    Could it be these people who are forever studying have little social interaction and enjoy having an excuse to get dressed up for and enjoy being the center of people's attention?

Yes, I believe you hit the nail smack center.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There are people who attend the Kingdom Halls and absorb a portion of the faith.

Fence sitters is what we used to call them. They would show up for the majority of meetings and make an appearance, but wouldn't go out in service or give talks.

My guess is they were doing this just to show to god that they were trying to make an effort, so they should be sparred from being killed at Armageddon.

I guess you could say they made up their own personal religion among themselves.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    ShirleyW
    What happened to the six month rule about if they don't progress that the study should be stopped, this was back in the early 80's

That depends on the publisher, A bible study who gives you cookies and milk and you can avoid door the door in the heat , cold, rain, or snow, why would you even tell the elders you've been studying with this person for 20 years!

• sir82
    sir82

In theory, JWs are supposed to drop a Bible study that is "not progressive".

"Progressive" is jumping thru the JW hoops, doing things the JWs expect a convert to do. For example:

-- Stop smoking, drugging, fornicating, etc.

-- Join the Theocratic Ministry School

-- Comment at meetings

-- Start speaking in field serve-us

In practice, most JWs love a non-progressive study. It pads their time report with easy hours, return visits and Bible studies. Most would gladly study with someone for decades if they could get away with it.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    When I was in there were lots of people that never took the dip and stayed "studying" for years for a number of reasons already pointed out by previous posters. I do recall about 30 years ago or so the pressure from elders and COs and DOs and the Organization to get these people to either commit OR drop them. I recall getting pressure from elders to drop some studies if they had not committed after 6 months. The idea being that we were close to the end and we needed to spend energy on other people, and if they didn't "get it" in 6 months they never would.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit