We'll have a gay ol' time

by riz 12 Replies latest jw friends

• riz
    riz

I recall having a conversation with a friend about homosexuality not too long ago. He put a new spin on the subject that I had never thought of before. He said his opinion was that the bible condemns homosexuality for the simple fact that the act of sex between same-sex partners does not produce children. Therefore, no new disciples are born to spread the word of god. On that token, other 'sins' such as oral sex, masturbation, and the like could well be lumped into the same category as homosexuality, a biblical 'abomination punishable by death.' Yikes. Homosexuality in the animal kingdom is prevalent. So why would a higher power create animals knowing they would have the inclination to engage in the act that is condemned in reference to human beings?
    Growing up in the borg I was taught to think that homosexuals were vile, morally corrupt heathens. In reality the ones that I have associated with and have come to know and love posess more compassion, empathy, and integrity than any witness that I have ever known.
    There is so much hate and prejudice in the name of religion. It is truly sad. I am grateful that I had the insight to turn my back on such oppression. Also, side note, what a sad existence it would be without the likes of Warhol and dance music. I shudder to think.

riz

• Englishman
    Englishman

Riz,

A most interesting viewpoint, well worth looking in to.

There`s no doubt that homosexuals have the edge when it comes to creativity, why this should be so I really dont know.

Up until a few years ago I was very anti anything other than what I considered to be a normal sexual relationship, however I have 2 friends that are gay and they are both really super company to be with.

I have to say that same sex attraction is a total mystery too me, women have so much allure! Still its all down to freedom of choice, so if it`s your cup of tea enjoy it!

englishman.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I have to say that same sex attraction is a total mystery too me, women have so much allure! Still its all down to freedom of choice, so if it`s your cup of tea enjoy it!

I'm with you on that, Englishman. Like you (I suspect), I realize that my thoughts and feelings on something I have zero internal experience with, have less than zero importance, in the big picture, for those who do have a particular experience.

I saw a great bumpersticker the other day: "I'm straight, but not narrow".

Homosexuality in the animal kingdom is prevalent

Hmmmmm... how have I missed that? Is that true? Prevalent??? Please document.

• Englishman
    Englishman

6 o` 9,

I`ve seen dolphins do it, I`ve had dogs that did it, and my pet tom cat George shags a pair of socks so we gave him a teddy bear which he prefers.

Englishman.

• waiting
    waiting
    There`s no doubt that homosexuals have the edge when it comes to creativity, why this should be so I really dont know. - Englishman

God created homosexuals so that the truly gifted would not be burdened with offspring. author unknown (I'm at work)

waiting

• riz
    riz

Englishman,

I have never personally been in a homosexual relationship either, but it is upsetting to think that people can be so cruel to eachother based on sexual orientation alone. I just don't see the big deal. I think that if you can find someone in this world to love and that person loves you too and you are happy, it shouldn't matter if you happen to be of like gender.
    cheers
    riz

• Simon
    Simon

It's hard sometimes to leave the WT inbred predjudices behind but it's getting easier all the time.

What is the Catholic book that lists the sins and panalties? Is it the chatechism or something like that? I remember a program about this and the point was made about rape not being much of a crime in the bible because it could produce children whereas homosexuality and oral sex were considered much worse. A lot of rapes in the bible are even put in a positive light !

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    Hmmmmm... how have I missed that? Is that true? Prevalent??? Please document.

Yep, very true. There have recently been studies about Bonobo monkeys, who regularly engage in same-sex relationships.

I also recently read an article in Discover (I think) concerning two male vultures in an endangered breeding program. These two males were totally devoted to each other and refused to mate with any female vultures. The scientists in the program eventually gave up trying to separate them (since they became totally depressed). They found, however, that these two males were excellent parents in spite of their orientation. Therefore, they would take newborn chicks from heterosexual vulture couples, and turn them over to the "boys" to raise, thus allowing the heterosexual couple to produce more chicks.

There are many more documented and anecdotal indicents along this line. Our two male dogs are totally bonded, that's for sure. Even when our third dog, a female, was still alive, they wanted nothing to do with her...they preferred each other.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Hi all,

Yall are sweet for being so cool. Having grown up as a gay Jehovah's Witness, I certainly hate myself for a long long time. I stopped believing it was the truth while I was pioneering at the age of 20, but did not get the courage to "come out" until 10 years later. Then I met Mitch and the rest is history.

I have spent years of my life trying to understand why I was gay, reading both religious and scientific books, journals and magazine articles and discussing the issue with countless friends. Sociologically or culturally we have nearly nothing in common. Jews, Catholics, Atheists, Witnesses, Southern Baptists, Hindus, etc. etc etc. All economic backgrounds, fatherless, orphans, on and on.

Most of my friends are the youngest male in their family. My totally unscientific conclusion is that there is some sort of hormonal or enzymal change in the mother's chemical makeup that is caused by the production of male offspring. In an evolutionary sense, it could be that this assures that earlier born males sperm will have less competition from their younger brothers, if their younger brothers are homosexual.

I however know many many married men that have strong homosexual desires and most of them are active both homosexually and with their wives. This leads me to believe that there is a very large closeted bisexual population that will properly never be counted among those who partake of homosexual activity. So maybe homosexual sex is just that much fun (I sure think it is).

A book called Biological Exuberance: Homosexuality in the Animal Kingdom puts forth the theory that homosexuality is a natural consequence to the sun putting out more energy than can possibly be utilized by all life on the planet. One of the outcomes of this extra energy is homosexuality.

I agree homosexuals seem to be more creative. I think it is due to the fact that most of us have more spare time due to no children. Also, we tend to be very introspective, wondering why we are so different from the established norm. We also grow up with a lot of pain and I've read that some believe emotional pain leads to the need for creative outlets.

All I know for sure is that I am as queer as a 3 dollar bill and have known it since I was about 10 years old. I was gay before I discovered masturbation unlike the old Youth book (is that an oxymoron) stated.

• unanswered
    unanswered

nice post, riz. to me, getting along without judgement isn't rocket science. well, not anymore, at least. i know what you mean about growing up being taught one thing and realizing how silly it is. my views used to be much more narrow. if i still thought that way, i wouldn't be able to accept a lot of cool people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit