Wish You Knew? Ask a Jew!

by CalebInFloroda 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Why observe Shabbat if you are a secular or agnostic Jew?

Becuase observing Shabbat is a mitzvah, an act that brings redemption or healing to the world. Rest is important to the body, the family, society. Periods of relaxation are a real part of what brings relief to society. Your observance of Shabbat is not a mental belief but a physical action, a mitzvah.

One does not require a literal belief in G-d to perform a mitzvah or to bring healing and redemption into the world. In fact one does such things as if there were no such thing as G-d and therefore left as our responsibility to perform for the world's benefit.

Mentally adhering to a concept, believing in something, does not perform an act of redemption in the world. Belief is not mitzvah. Action is. When you perform mitzvah you "bring a little of G-d" into the world, and to a Jew that is more important that merely believing that G-d exists.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

At this point we are having a musical interlude, including two of the latest hits:

1. I Beat Dat Bitch With a Bat (rap and slow dance versions)

2. Pinot Noir (Ode to Black Penis, kosher version)

A "continental" breakfast is being served in the green room. ("Continental" is French for "truly sucky.") Coffee is supplied free of charge courtesy of the Rock Badger Co., makers of Mama's Fried Fruit Pies and Killem Roach Spray. ("If you can't join 'em, kill 'em!")

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    It's not about identifying with points of doctrine or making claim to or denying belief in this or that concept. It's about doing, responding, living,many enduring as a Jew.
    It's the opposite. It's want you DO, not what you believe.

I understand what you mean by this.

As you said earlier; it is the values that define you as a Jew, or as you said in this post; what you DO.

But no matter what you define "Jewish" as, my question will still remain (maybe in some other form).

[insert practice/belief/value here]"is the point to Judaism"

If being Jewish is referring to:

Your values

What you do

How you dress

Your religious views

Or something else, the question is still going to be:

What about someone who is born into the tribe and who does not practice/identify with said thing?

If the answer is yes he is still a Jew, that means that the answer you gave is not really what makes someone a Jew since they can be so without said thing.

If the answer is no he is not a Jew, that means that there is a distinction between what makes some Jewish by birth and by practice/beliefs/values.

Which was the original question I asked you; what is the distinction? And that would also be the answer to the question.

Since I got the impression you don't think there is any distinction I am wondering if there is a third option that I have overlooked? Or you are incorrect and there is a distinction.

Do you understand my question now? It has nothing to do with how hard it might be for me to grasp the idea of a religion without beliefs or doctrine or even belief in God, I can entertain all these ideas.

We could do the same to philosophy if it was a tribe; what is the difference between someone born into it and someone practicing it? Philosophy has no God, no religious rules or rites, no leader, no religious beliefs. I don't want nor need any of these things to be present in Judaism, my question is outside that entire argument.

Hope this clears it up!

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Update: The nurse is threatening to take my iPad away, saying I need my rest. It is 5:15am and I am in the hospital. I been up most of the night because apparently Imgot hit by lightning around 11:30 or so last night. I don't know. I don't remember.

Last thing I remember was watch a very large raccoon stare at me from behind a tree as I took the garbage out.

5:18 am: bitch nurse says she's not going to warn me again. So she's coming to take my iPad away. I'll be back as soon as I can.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    When you perform mitzvah you "bring a little of G-d" into the world

Why would this be important to a secular Jew since he does not believe in said deity? Or wouldn't it?

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    I'll be back as soon as I can.

Okay man, hope you get better soon! :)

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

It generally would not matter, although a secular Jew may not approach doing good in the exact same sense. The mitzvah or redemption still gets done.

And thank you. It hit the ground behind me, not me directly. I am fine.

And some secular Jews adopt different ways of healing the world than seeing things in terms of Torah=mitzvah, but it is once again the same act or goal of a mitzvah.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

One of the most important tenets I strive to employ in my daily life comes from my strong conviction that all people have the right to exercise their conscience freely as they see fit.

As such I am also against the idea of debating in an attempt to alter one’s view over to mine or to make comments to make others feel that their religion or lack of religion is somehow inferior to mine. While not agreeing with Jehovah’s Witnesses, I also do not feel it is right to attack those who wish to follow that path.

My main reason for being here as an ex-JW is to encourage people on their path, support their view whatever that might be, and add what I know to the vast amount of knowledge that exists on this board. I find proselytizing unjust, and have no objective to win others over to my views in order that become Jewish themselves.

Some have found helpful information in my comments, but a lot of people have told me I am just an irritant and have wished me and my Jewish convictions bad (and not always on the public side of this board). Since I believe that these people are also capable of much good and have much to offer for the benefit of the world, and because some of these confuse my comments with an attempt to challenge or tear down their own, I am from this point on going to limit my comments to humor and just hang around in general.

I feel that the JWs are to blame for creating an atmosphere here where in some cases the slightest suggestion of anything that reminds a person of that religion is hurtful to some. That is not my intention. Since I want to promote healing and freedom for people who really need it after leaving the Watchtower, I think it the best thing for me to do is to leave my personal convictions and knowledge as a philologist at the door. My desire is to help, not hurt, and I think this is the right way for me to be helpful to as many people as possible.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    So, the short answer of "What do Jews believe" is just "Shit happens" it would seem.
  • CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

To be honest, Viviane, we have a similar saying about our Jewish celebrations.

It's: "Yea, we're celebrating the fact that someone tried to kill us...again!"

So you are not too far off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit