Facial hair

by SpannerintheWorks 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Take a look at an earlier thread I started.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=36501&site=3

Even CT Russell had a beard!!! Why can't we have a beard???

• Mulan
    Mulan

Grow one. We don't care.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Mulan,

Your'e missing the point.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know. I was just being silly. Sorry.

• zev
    zev

i think it looks good

<--------------------------------------------

• gumby
    gumby

The Witness reasoning behind a beard is.......it detracts from the message they deliver. They also feel it is following worldly trends. They feel a clean shaven face will allow for no suspicion on the part of a householder.

None of the reasons they give have any foundation.

The reason they say Jesus or others of his time may have worn beards is.....it was the custom of the time they were in, and no one would think twice about it.

I guess it just isn't the custom in our land eh?

• Francois
    Francois

Beard? Did someone say beard?

• Aaac
    Aaac

Beard prohibition was invented by Rutherford. He wanted JW's be as different from Russelites as possible. Russelites had beards just like Jesus and Russell. Rutherford didn't have beard. Even Jesus hadn't beard in Rutherford's books!

Simple?

• gumby
    gumby

So it was Rutherfords idea eh!

I heard another reason too.

I heard old Freddie......being a frenchman.........was so unhairy that he only had two hairs on his dinger. It made him so mad when he saw these big burley brothers with hair poking thru their shirts that he made a strict policy that brothers were to be clean shaven. Sisters however did not need to shave their pits or their top lip (if their hormones were gone).......Gawd.......I need some sleep!

• Jonadab
    Jonadab

I believe that beards were frowned on due to the hippie period of the 1960's. If you were to ask the Society what the present stance is on beards you would be told that there is nothing scripturally wrong with a brother having a beard and that the elders are free to use a brother in the congregation. I know of a ministerial servant with a beard and have heard of several elders with beards. Although it isn't common beards don't have the same stigma they once did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit