10 Years ago today...

by done4good 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thank you for personal insights dfg. I am still only a year or so out from my last meeting and a few months since unannounced drop-ins from the local cong slowed to a trickle then stopped altogether, so it still feels like a struggle to maintain optimism of the future. I live in a very small fishbowl of a town where the layers of JW connections run deep into the fabric of the town, you cannot just go about your business without running into someone who is, has been, is related to or studied with a JW. It could be likened to a tapestry where if you pulled on one thread the whole thing would move. This causes this constant feeling of surveillance which has made moving on emotionally while not impossible problematic. I know that most of the battle is being played out on an emotional level but I am ever mindful that these people (from the local council to the bank to the supermarket) could and would be happy to make my life very unpleasant if they suspected apostasy, so I keep a low profile.

That being said I enjoy reading experiences of ones who are further along the exit road than me, so thanks.

• done4good
    done4good

Sparrowdown - Although I do not have that immediate situation, I know what you are talking about. The last congregation I attended was in that very type of community. I moved away. More specifically, actually after I started dating my now wife and moved in with her, (she was about 30 miles away, just outside of Philly), I was able to get out of that environment. So I removed myself from that small town, anywhere you go you could run into a JW you know type of place. That did wonders for moving on. I appreciate having had that opportunity. I seems too many do not have those options. I try very hard now to understand those who cannot just walk away and leave. It is much harder to do when surrounded by JW influence, I suppose.

Just so you know, a year out is about as awkward as it gets, (even for someone like myself who was already making my own life, in what seemed like very far away from the JW world I knew). The first year learning the TTATT is all new and novel. Immediately after that I went through some very uncomfortable times in 2007-2008 when I felt almost as if I knew nothing about the way the universe worked and had to start all over. I think that is what rekindled my life long interest in science. I pretty much read anything and everything I could get my hands on. That kept me sane through that rough patch. My point is, it gets easier, but you do have to work for it. It does not come automatically. Find something you can satisfy your inner self with. Don't focus too much on what was, there is no real going back.

As I stated before, I would not trade leaving for anything. Self honesty in priceless.

d4g

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I hear you d, I know my rehabilitation will move along faster once I move away from here. My sanity has been kept in tact by planning that move and reading my ass off. I am so hungry for info right now I can't take it in fast enough.

I am questioning everything I ever thought about myself and what I am capable of. Overall the waking up process has been a wild ride - one I wouldn't change.

Ironic that it turns out that the most exciting thing you will ever do "in the truth" is to leave it.

• lrkr
    lrkr

To your freedom day Done4! Feels like a lifetime ago and yet very everpresent- yes??

My freedom day was Memorial 2007. I knew then that it was over. I feel more and more alive and awake every day.

Salute!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit